• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Speed prop on 1750 Fishhawk 115 Optimax?

The terms "Speed Prop" and "Power Prop" are pretty generic. There really is no specific prop that is labeled either.

Every engine is engineered to operate within a specific RPM range. Because most boat/motor combinations are different, choosing the correct prop becomes key. The most important one is choosing one that will keep you in the recomended rpm range at wide open throttle with a light load.

Prop design and construction can and will help over all performance. Material (stainless, aluminum and composite), blade number, blade design, cup, rake and diameter all can make a difference on the way a boat handles and performs.

In order to help answer your original question, we would need to know a few more things such as what prop is currenly on there and things like how the holeshot, RPM at WOT and speed.

Keep in mind, in some instances, gaining something may mean sacrificing somewhere else. 3 mph on the top end may affect the hole shot and visa-versa.

If a guy is really looking to get the max MPH out of it, your buddy should contact DAH props. They build custom props but to be honest, with only a 115 I don't think he's going to really pick up much over the correct off the shelf prop.

Now keep in mind that not all stainless props are the same. Some promote bow lift, stern lift, lower planing speed, mas speed and so on. There are some good compromises out there but no one prop is perfect in every situation. If he's running Merc props, a Tempest would be a good place to start, with a 19 pitch being faster than a 17 pitch. Be advised, playing with props is expensive and he might gain a couple of MPH out of it.

If speed is his thing, have him get a bass boat.

I have a 1750 with a 115 johnson on it. I have a 17 aluminum and a 19 ss. The 19 has less cavitaion issues when trimmed up in corners and gives it about 2-3 mph more but the hole shot sucks. I went back to the 17 al for the hole shot. I would like to try a 17 ss.

i have a 2006 1750 fish hawk with a 115 optimax, i run a 17 pitch for better hole shot and pulling skiers, also have a 19 pitch both aluminum, with one person gear and gas 17 runs 41 mph on gps 19 runs 44 mph on gps not alot of difference