• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable stand recomendations

Mr. Twister

"...The Open Shot does allow you the potential to shoot out of a seated position, but I find that it is still limited due to the side "walls" and that in most cases people prefer to shoot while standing..."

I think you ment "Viper" there.

But I agree that it takes more energy to climb with the Openshot, but I can do it without breaking a sweat. As they say, "your mileage may vary."

If you need a lightweight to carry long distances I'd pick the Openshot, ..... if you're concerned about being fit enough to climb with it go with one with a climbing bar. That's why im interested in getting another... when I'm loaded up in late season with heavy clothes and a backpack I feel the strain of my biceps at the elbows.

I feel the difference between a 14 pound climber and a 20 pound one.

No, I mean Open Shot. With the Viper, you really can't count on trying to shoot from a sitting position due to the front bar. Even on the Open Shot, shooting from a seated position is limited to shots that are mostly straight in front of you because the open shot has "side bars" that extend past where the seat is.

As to the ability to climb with the two stands, I still think that the Open Shot is far too difficult to climb with than is necessary, and it really has little to do with physicl conditioning (which is a small part of it), and more to do with ease of use, stealth, and safety. My biggest complaint is that if you have any amount of warm or bulky clothing on, it becomes cumbersome and more prone to noise (not to mention more physically exerting to climb). If they simply made the area on the side bar larger where you place your hands climbing would be a whole lot easier. I find that it is not very ergonomically designed for climbing. I think they may also have a removable or swinging front climbing bar, which would make that stand much easier to use.

All in all, both are good stands, but I would choose the Viper 99 times out of 100 in hunting situations based on personal experience, with the best case scenario being a stand that is a crossover of the two (which I believe they may be making now - a swiveling or moveable front bar).