• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rusty Trailer

amateurfishing

Boat trailer has significant rust, does not change ability to use trailer at all, just looks unsightly. Is it worth sanding down a trailer and refinish the paint job at all? or not worth trying to stop what mother nature already started, just let it go & eventually scrap it & get another trailer.

Its a ton of work if you try sanding or grinding all of the rust off.. Did one years ago, I had mine blasted before painting it. Is it pretty far gone, or just surface rust? A sandblaster might penetrate too much.

only surface rust, but fenders by far look worst, just hideous looking but does not hinder trailer use at all. just wondering if i should start thinking bout tackling this issue and how or if not worth it. Trailer is 1984 shorelander all roller. cant even buy same wheel size anymore, just had all 3 tires fixed with tubes put inside to keep around a little longer as wheels have some cracking on outside. what is good lifespan on a trailer, if previous owner claimed not to use it in last 10 years i would think mine has plenty of time left.

I know my dad and i just completly redid a utility trailer 2 years ago that was rusted bad, we took it completely apart from scratch, sanded, repainted, & redid the bed & sides, but that never sees water.

To best of my knowledge, boat trailer rust is purely cosmetic, just wondering if its worth a fix for the time or cost associated with it.

I have a slightly different question but also a rusty trailer. However, mine is an 08 Prestige (now out of business) for my 08 Alumacraft Trophy 185. The trailer used to look sweet but now after some rock chips to the paint and a February trip down 169, rust is starting to bubble up from under the paint, all over the trailer. It drives me nuts to see it this way but I don't have the equipment to blast it, prime it, paint it and plus there are all of those cool looking decals I would hate to lose. Anybody know a place that can either touch it up or do a full on repair? Should I check with the place of purchase (Cabelas) for possible warranty? Any thoughts appreciated.

If its just surface rust than sandblast it and paint it with a good primer and paint. I had good luck with rustolium on a old trailer that I did some areas that were rusted on my old trailer. I just wire brushed the c r a p out of the areas and primed and painted the areas. O whole trailer will need a sand blasting. We did a few trailers when I worked for UWS and it was time consuming but they looked good and lasted a long time when we got doen.

My boat trailer I have now is galvanized and I wouldnt own a boat trailer that wasnt now. A bit more $ but well worth it.