• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New bow for someone relearning bow hunting?

Parker

Hi – In the past 10 years I haven’t picked up a bow, but I want to get back into bow hunting. My current bow is an old PSE. From what I have been reading there have been many advances in the bow hunting world since I was semi-interested in it. From what I can gather, bows today are much faster than what I am used to. I would like to get new bow, but it must be reasonably priced. My question is, should I purchase a bow package from one of the big box stores, or should I purchase a 2-3 year old bow that someone has traded in at one of the more specialty type shops. I don’t even know my draw length anymore.

My goal in getting a package would be that I could get arrows and broadheads and be ready to hit the range. Less fuss. My goal in getting a used bow would be that it was the cats meow a couple years ago and is still pretty dang good, but I would be getting it at a steep discount. All things being equal, I think I’d rather have a 2-3 year old Mathews than a new Bear. Am I off base?

No, I don't think you're off base at all. A 2-3 year old bow is light years ahead of your old bow and will probably surprise you as to how it performs compared to your old one.

My suggestion is to decide on a budget- how much can you afford to spend? Keep in mind there's significant cost after purchasing a bare bow- sight, quiver, rest, stabilizer, release, arrows, broadheads... Also, it sounds like you might be well served to get some help in getting it set up properly, which may also cost you something.

Good luck and have fun!

My best suggestion is stay away from the big box stores because rarely do they have help that is knowledgeable enough to get you set up properly. Stay with an archery pro-shop. They will have several bows in your price range, both new and used and be able to match all the equipment to that bow and more importantly, to YOU.

There is bound to be at least a couple shops within easy driving distance. Check 'em out, shoot a few bows at each and go with what feels best to you without getting caught up in name brands.

Good luck!

DonBO and Scoot have made some great points to follow. The best thing to do is make out a budget on how much you want to spend. Go to an archery shop and shoot a few different brands of bows. See which one feels the best for you. A bow that cost $300 will kill deer as well as a bow that cost $900. It all depends on the hunter and how they use their tools. Go with what feels best to you and within your price range.

Here is a good reference when selecting a bow http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm It is a long article but it explains what the verbage is when looking at a bow to help you make a selection.

Another tip is if you pick out a new bow ask on how the company is to deal with for customer service. I had a nightmare of an experience and it frustrated me so badly that I went out and got a different bow. It is very frustrating to have your bow in the shop for months.

Good luck hunting this fall.