• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bunk Trailer a Little Help

FM_Mike

I have a new bunk trailer under my 18' Crestliner. Had roller trailer for the past 12 years and learned where the sweet spot was when loading the trailer to get it on straight.

Now I have a Shorelander bunk trailer and would like some tips on how to load and how to find the sweet spot. Now when I load, the bow of the boat is about 3" off to left. I know there should be away that it will load straight. How deep to back in? How far to drive up the trailer? Would like to be able to load straight the first time without backing back in to center the boat. I know I'm not doing something right. How much should I expect to winch? Some hints from those with bunks would be appreciated.

Mike

With mine most times deep enough for water to come around the fenders and I can drive right on, mine has a roller in the center that lines me up halfway on the trailer. At most 1 maybe 2 cranks to pull it tight. My trailer was also made for my boat so yours may be a little different.

Same thing goes for the way we load my buddies Tracker, also trailer matched to the boat.

Most people try to load their boat with the trailer too deep. I would start by keeping it shallower next time. You should be able to drive to the bow eye if you want to. I like to crank it the last foot. Props are expensive and it's easy to blow sand/gravel up from the bottom when loading.

I may be in a little too deep. I would rather crank the last couple of feet as I to value my prop. I will try a little less trailer in the water and see how that works.

Mike

I am new to the bunk trailer loading thing. I got a different boat with a bunk trailer this spring. Thru some experimenting and advice from a few buddies. I have found that leaving aprox a foot to 16" of the front of the bunk out of the water works really well for me. I back in until all of the bunk is under water to get it wet. Then pull it out. 2 cranks at most to fit it tight to the mast and I'm ready to go.

I am new to the bunk trailer loading thing. I got a different boat with a bunk trailer this spring. Thru some experimenting and advice from a few buddies. I have found that leaving aprox a foot to 16" of the front of the bunk out of the water works really well for me. I back in until all of the bunk is under water to get it wet. Then pull it out. 2 cranks at most to fit it tight to the mast and I'm ready to go.

Exactly the same procedure as my 1750 Fish Hawk. I also have 3' long carpeted side-guides(set up w/ 1/2" clearance each side) which makes it effortless and perfect every time. I never need to gun it up the trailer either...zero prop wash.

Same as above...dunk the bunks completely then pull so about half way out of the lake. Another good tip is to try e-z glides. work very well for bunk style trailers. I love the fact that when I'm alone and my boat is slightly off, instead of trying to load and reload while hogging the landing, I can now slide the boat and inch or two by myself in the parking lot!

Update, just got back from week of fishing and found that I was backing trailer in too deep. After finding the right depth it loaded much better. Still not Perfect, but it is centered much closer.

Mike