• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Basswood Shooters

UMC

I have a Basswood tree in my front yard that is sending up shooters (hope I'm using the right term) all around it amongst the grass. Is there some way to stop this? The tree itself seems healthy, if that matters.

Most of us call them suckers, not shooters, but we know what you mean.

Often a tree will send up suckers from the root system when the main tree is under some kind of stress. Could be bug infestation, disease, etc. Or it's just doing it because the main tree is getting older.

I trim suckers with a pruner if they are too heavy to mow over. If it's on your lawn and you mow regularly, that should keep them somewhat in check. Opinions vary, but I don't often use herbicides on suckers because I fear they'll impact the main root structure.