• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice on buying New Boat

Kettle

I just picked up a steady second job and am looking at buying a new boat, just looking for peoples input. I grew up with Lund (my dad owns one). I am not particular. Looking at something in the 16' range, and around 25hp motor. Have been looking at the new Lund Fury, also would like to know if anyone has a G3. Going for aluminum trying to spend under 9K. Any input would be great on boat brands and or motor brands.

Thanks

Kettle

In a boat like that there are a lot of good ones. Lund, Alumacraft, G3, Chrestliner etc etc all have good 16' tillers. I guess I would go with the Fury or the Alumacraft 160 Fisherman I think it is and the Lunker looks ok.

Yea the Fury is nice the fisherman is really nice too, I think the lunker might be more in cost, will have to get quotes and see where they fall.

Thanks for the info

Kettle

Thanks for the input trav, the lunker is a nice looking boat that would fit me well. I think I went to HS with you in Francis, tried to PM you a ways back but your inbox is full. PM me

Kettle

Kettle,

I recommend a Alumacraft Fisherman 160CS with a 40HP 4 stroke yamaha(price difference between a 25HP and 40HP was less than $1000). I bought one this spring from cabelas. I know you want to stay under 9K but with the financing they offer now days you can go out up to 10 years (can be paid off sooner without penalty).

Here is how the price broke down on my boat.

$11,149 Boat, Shorelander roller trailer, & 40HP 4 stroke Yamaha

$ 2290 Optional Equipment (HB 597ci HD DI, Minnekota 55PD V2 w/US2 & I pilot, Canvas Craft Custom Cover, & extra seat)

$13,439 Subtotal

$ 1,110 Tax and Fees

$14,549 total

$ 2,270 down payment (cash,promos,cabelas points)

$12,279 Financed over 7 years

not to bad of payments on it

here is a picture of my boat

full-29971-10417-100_3136.jpg

full-29971-10419-100_3137.jpg

Nice boat Brad! I was looking at that one specifically, the one with the tiller option. Have you had this out on any bigger water? In any windy days? Just want to know how it handles. I have been peering into a bump up to the 40 hp so I can try some medium to larger bodies of water. Any info would be great!

Kettle

Kettle,

the biggest piece of water I have been on so far with it is the sauk river chain by Cold Springs and Richmond. I ran the entire chain from one end to the other. the only other places I have had it out on was local lakes that were less than 500 acres. Some might think I am crazy but I am going to take it up to Mille Lacs some time. the only thing about up there is I wouldn't go to far out(3 miles max). I did add a VHF Radio for when I am on larger water or the rivers. I have seen a smaller boat then mine out there. If all works out I plan to have it on the Minnesota River or the Mississippi River on July 30th. I plan to spend the day catfishing. the over all handling is great. it has a smooth ride. You will want to go with a 40HP over the 25HP. When I asked about the 25 vs 40 I was told the 25 would be okay for one person but would bog down with two or more. the salesman recommended to spend the extra money up front and get something you would be happy with instead of wishing you would have upgraded to the 40HP. With the 40HP and just me in the boat I can get it doing 26MPH(speed reading on the GPS). If you want a good cover for it that will last forever get a Canvas Craft custom cover. I ordered a tie down model cover from them but by mistake they made and installed a snap on cover. the snap on covers will run more money but are well worth it. I got a good deal on mine since they made the mistake. they ended up letting me keep the snap on but only charged me for the tie down. so they do have good customer service and will make things right if they are wrong. Windy Days are not that bad like I said I just noramlly stay to local smaller lakes. I would like to try clearwater yet this year and also maple lake. it is a easy boat to add stuff to yourself (ie : fish finders, VHF Radio, Regular Radio, Rod holders). One thing I did extra to it was I added a third battery so now I have a dedicated starting only battery and a accessories battery and the one up front for the trolling motor. I did add two on board chargers also a single bank in the front for the trolling motor battery and a dual bank in back for the starting and accessories batteries. one other addition I added was two sets of 6 feet rope lights for fishing at night(one in the bow area and one in the rear). it is a very easy boat to load and unload your self. just make sure to go with a roller model over a bunk model trailer.

hope this helps,

Brad

Kettle,

forgot one thing. If you do get one and decide to add a trolling motor I highly recommend either a Power Drive V2 or the Terrova in a 55Lb Thrust 12 Volt model with the I pilot factory installed(you save money by getting the factory installed I-pilot over adding it yourself later). you may want to wait thou since they just upgraded the I pilot system to double the memory of the orginal from last year(6 memory spots verses 3 on the first year models) plus a upgraded larger remote.

I just looked at the 2011 brochure a Fisherman tiller model does only take a max size motor of a 25HP so If you wanted a 40HP motor you would be limited to a Fisherman160CS like mine or if you are set on a tiller only model then you would have to go with a lunker II which runs around a $1000.00 more then the Fisherman 160CS does

Brad

Thanks for the input trav, the lunker is a nice looking boat that would fit me well. I think I went to HS with you in Francis, tried to PM you a ways back but your inbox is full. PM me

Kettle

Its saying your inbox is full too...