• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

17 wk old lab NOT housebroken yet Advice Please ?

DrJ

We've never had a lab that we couldn't train to go outside. This pup is taken out a lot to do his business and yet will pee almost everyday in a different room. No advance notice and not alot of pee. He never askes to go out or even stands by the back door.My wife is ready to make him a kennel dog out of frustration. I had him to the vet for his last shots on Monday and the Vet didn't have much advice. He never goes overnight in his crate and doesn't go in the outside kennel,he's not out there often.Anyone have this problem or any advice. Thanks DrJ

We bell trained our Setters. My wife and kids would tell me they never see the dogs go by the door too. With the bell hanging, every hour I would take them out and hit their paw or nose against the bell. You will be surprised how often they hit that bell when you are in another room busy (and would never see them doing it). You may not see them at the door, but you hear that bell. The hardest part at first is trying to figure out why you hear a bell ringing. May not be your answer, but cheap and easy enough to try.

Our Black lab puppy is 19 weeks old now and is making great progress in the potty training but it did not happen over night. He will still have an accident every few days or so but usually as a result of us not catching his signal that he has to go. We just started the bell idea the other day and are hoping we can be on top of it when he rings the bell. He has not gone #2 in the house for the last 6 weeks or so until this morning. I think he did not want to go out in the rain any longer. We have trained him to go all the way out to the weeds to go #2 and not in our nice grass. This has gone great but this morning thru me off as I did not expect that. Lol He spent a little time in his kennel for that one. It is a long haul to the back for him so I think between the rain and thunder he figured it would be OK to go in the house. Caught him in mid act so the timing was nice for a little reinforcement that it is not OK. We cut him off the water around 7 in the evening and that helped early on. Some say don't spank the dog but I gave him good swatts with my cap or news paper when I caught him early on and strongley beleive it made the differance so far. Not much for spanking him these days as he is doing rather well now and it is not needed. The spankings scared him more than hurt him and that is why I was ok with it. Make sure to give your dog lots of love too if you try the spanking to insure them that they are loved and cared about. That is my two cents worth on this topic. Good luck with your challenge and be pateint. Our lab is great and I am very proud of him as he seems to catch on to things with a little work. Looking forward to seeing how the bell works indeed.

Sorry one other note... Close all the doors to the rooms that don't need to be open to keep your lab from peeing in them. They leave that smell behind and will return again. It will also help you keep tabs on him/her while they are inside. This helped us early on as well and kept the accidents to just a couple rooms in the begining. I am sure you probably realize this but thought I would throw it out there as it helped us to read any and all idea's to speed up the training process.

2nd the bell advise, that's how we got ours trained. hang it by the door you bring him out and take him to the same spot in the yard. as soon he does his business, praise and give him a treat, then right back in the house. Also like said, close all doors so you can watch him constantly and he cant wonder off. frustrating now, but he'll figure it out!