• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HELP

pbowhunter

im new to walleye fishing and have been having very limited sucess. i fish a lake that has a lot of walleyes in it. i fish kind of on a flat part of a drop off and the fish seem to move through the area pretty good. I spot many walleyes and have tried jigging raps angel eyes plain hooks different colors different bait and have a hard time trying to get them to bite. they seem to just come and go without intrest in biting. any thoughts?

Are you sure they're walleyes coming through, and not some other kind of fish?

Are you fishing at the typical best times - early and late in the day, vs. midday?

The baits you mentioned are good, but are for more aggressive fish - jigging raps, jigging spoons, etc. Have you tried more neutral presentations, like live minnows on hooks?

Can you get any advice from the locals - are they doing something different?

Hope some of this helps - good luck.

One more thought - pay attention to your jigging motion. Try changing it up to see what works or doesn't work. Typically I jig a few times, then let the bait sit for about 10 seconds. They'll often hit on the pause. Sometimes slow lifts or slow drops or longer pauses work better. It's not too often that fish will hit a bait while it's being jigged, unless they're very aggresive (not typical at this time of the year).

[This message has been edited by PerchJerker (edited 02-23-2004).]

If your are getting nothing but lookers and movers, you might want to try and find a spot adjacent to that spot where the fish stay put and bite (hopefully)

If your on a mainlake structure try to find an isolated secondary structure close by.

Fish use structure for navigation not always feeding.

Good luck