• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trolling motor as temporary primary motor?

kg25

Hi,

I just bought a 1968 14ft Lund S-14. (My first boat) It did not come with an outboard motor. I am upgrading from a square stern canoe that I had used a 36lb Minn Kota trolling motor on. I will be searching for a reliable outboard in the 5HP to 20HP range, but in the meantime I would still like to use the boat on smaller lakes (probably 300 acres and less).

My question is, will my 36lb trolling motor be sufficient to push the boat around until I find an outboard? Would I need to rule out windy days? I understand it would be slow going, but being smaller lakes I don't need to get anywhere fast and won't be going long distances. I also understand I would limited by the battery.

On a side note, I will be selling my square stern canoe and trailer, is there a decent demand for this? I guess I'll find out when I list it on a-sales-site, but just curious before I do.

Thanks for any advice!

Kyle

I don't see any major issues with just running a trolling motor. If it were me I would be sure to have a good pair of oars (your boat should already have oar locks) just in case, you never know when an issue may arise with the trolling motor or battery and a pair of good oars can get you back to the boat ramp much faster than a single paddle.

that is exactly what i am doing now with my 16 ft crestliner. going everywhere with only my trolling motor till i get my 75 hp mercury fixed later this year. i have brand new interstate battery. I have gone out 3-6 hours so far this year, but always cognisant of wind, weather, and distance from dock. with my brand new interstate battery, i have always come home no less than 80% still charged. i would say i have moved around bout 60-75% of time on water while rest is drifting with waves or anchored. I have also contemplated just buying a 2nd battery for trolling motor just in case but have not actually gone that route get, and extra $100 for battery for peace of mind would be a pretty good investment. If i want to go out, must be calm. If there is wind over 10 mph or any chance of storms, i automatically nix my fishing plans & wait for a better day. I NEVER want to be caught off guard on the water.