• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ear infection

Look-A-Like

Not sure how well this would work on floppy eared dogs, I had huskies. Trim the hair inside the ears. This will help keep it dry. Also, clean out with q-tips. Not into the canal but around it. If you can't find otimax ear cleanser this weekend, try a saline solution to help rinse the gunk out.

my lab gets them every month. only in one ear. I take a kleenex and wipe them out then if there is any big build up carefully wipe it with a qtip. We have a cleaner that we got from the vet and some antibiotic drops that i put in. You can get the cleaner at the pet store or feed store. I would be careful introducing any saline or water into their ears as it is already moist. keep an eye on them, i check my dogs daily when we do our daily roll and play on the floor.

Before you go to the vet and come home with a lighter wallet, try apple cider vinegar. Three weeks ago, my american bulldog woke up with green goop on his right eye, and I applied acv diluted with water, 50/50 around the eye and behind the head. Works great, I can see results in the next day and eye infection gone on the 3rd day. Try 1 tbsp of acv and 1 tbsp of water, mixed and use a qtip and dip it in acv diluted w/water and clean in your lab's ear. Use a paper towel and dip it and wipe inside the inner ear and behind the ear too. That should work. There are a lot of websites in if you search acv for dog. Labs that swims will have get ear infection smile Well, good luck and report back!

...I don't use any fleas and ticks application; I have been spraying my american bulldog with acv diluted with water, so far, no fleas yet wink

This may be a dumb question and one I should know but how do I check to see if my dog has an infection? I mean when I pet her head and rub her ears she loves leaning into my hand to really rub her ears. To me I think this is normal but I just want to make sure.

Thank

Before you go to the vet and come home with a lighter wallet, try apple cider vinegar. Three weeks ago, my american bulldog woke up with green goop on his right eye, and I applied acv diluted with water, 50/50 around the eye and behind the head. Works great, I can see results in the next day and eye infection gone on the 3rd day. Try 1 tbsp of acv and 1 tbsp of water, mixed and use a qtip and dip it in acv diluted w/water and clean in your lab's ear. Use a paper towel and dip it and wipe inside the inner ear and behind the ear too. That should work. There are a lot of websites in if you search acv for dog. Labs that swims will have get ear infection smile Well, good luck and report back!

I went on line and found the acv mixed with water remedy and applied it twice yesterday and today. The redness and the gunk is a lot better today, may have saved that trip to the vet. Thanks everyone for the help!

an item that our vet told us about that works great is Mastitis tubes for cows. Put a tube in each ear and it will fix the problem. I have a yellow lab that is in the laka alot and always get them. They only cost about $20 at Mills Fleet or your large animal vet will also carry them.

My lab woke up with a double ear infection last week with red swollen ears, full of buildup and she wouldn't stop shaking her head. I finished the vets prescription yesterday with a product called "malOtic." Last night and this morning I noticed she wasnt listening very well, until it dawned on me today that she can't hear me unless I holler at her. I called the vet and the response I got was that some dogs are sensitive to this medication and it might take a few days to even 2 weeks to regain full hearing, but she should regain it fine. Their recommendation was to keep rinsing the ears with a drying solution to get residual medication out, so I have done that today and she is hearing a little better but still not great. I'm upset to say the least and would never use that product again!

I found this online about the product and have learned my lesson. Just as we would review our own prescriptions, do the same for your dog, and I would not suggest ever using this.

"Warnings

The use of gentamicin-betamethasone-clotrimazole ointment has been associated with deafness or partial hearing loss in a small number of sensitive dogs (eg, geriatric). The hearing deficit is usually temporary. If hearing or vestibular dysfunction is noted during the course of treatment, discontinue use of gentamicin-betamethasone-clotrimazole ointment immediately and flush the ear canal thoroughly with a non-ototoxic solution."