• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tips on carp

Ok I have some questions.. There is a river by my house and it over flooded and now the carp are everywhere in the neighbors pasture.. kind of a bow fishermans dream.. but I wanted to try to catc them. So i threw out a wax worm and a bobber and they completely ignored it.. they were coming up to the top to slurp up litle bugs I think. Not to be outdone by some carp I went back home and came out with my muskie gear and a nice big treble a snagged a few. They were super fun to reel in on the big tackle and i can't imagine them on light tackle.. How do you make them bite? Little sunfish popper on the surface? Or how? Its also pretty weedy. Thanks

Quote:
There is a river by my house and it over flooded and now the carp are everywhere in the neighbors pasture

If I saw this the first thing I would think is there must be a lot of nightcrawlers drowning. So first I would try Crawlers. Then I would get out the flyrod.

You may want to think twice before you post that you are breaking the law with snagging!!!!

It's going to be tough to catch them on the surface. I would recommend looking for fish that are tailing, or sitting nose down tail up in the water rooting around for food. Take a size 12 or bigger nymph and throw in about 6 in in front and 6 in to the side of them. If you fly selection is right, they will scoot over and inhale your fly.

The fly I was doing this with on Sat was a #8 scud hook with a brown marabou tail, rust dubbing mixed with hare's ear guard hairs and a brown soft hackle collar. Every tailing fish I got a shot at was caught. A large hairs ear nymph would probably work well too.

The tailing ones are easy, the cruising ones are difficult.

It seems like this presentation is key. I have become frustrated putting a fly directly in from to f them, but when the fly is off to the side slightly they will swing their head over and take a chance in-haling the fly! It also seems like brown/rust are go to colors.

As far as the posting goes - you might have the best luck with a small octopus hook and night-crawlers or corn. I would recommend 8lb test mono on a medium spinning outfit. You can throw some corn out to get them in the area and put a light split sot a foot above the hook or rig it like a lindy rig style. Good luck!