• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Today's Yamaha Puzzler!?

Ufatz

Yamaha 8HP 4-stroke. Spankin' [PoorWordUsage] new. Has about ONE HOUR on it. Died. Will not re-start. Plugs clean; filter clean; bowl clean of gunk; no leaks in fuel lines; solid connection from tank line to motor; recoil starter operates fine. We even gave it a blast of starting fluid (something we never use) and it remains DEAD DEAD DEAD!

I can get it into shop on Thursday for a possible fix (if they have time)and that is about the best we can do.

We have our Crestliner 1850 F.Hawk w/115 Yammie so it isn't like we are left on the beach.

But to have this maddening problem with a brand new motor......and a Yamaha no less....is really MORE than annoying.

Any ideas?

The three things needed for an engine to run: Gas, air and spark. You say the plugs are clean... How clean? Do you if any mixture is getting into the cylinder? Air... Is there compression? Spark... Here's where I think the problem is. Are you getting any spark?

I think Moosehunter on same page I am......ignition. I know nothing about the technical aspects of this motor but I am betting that SOMETHING is killing any electrical source to the plugs. Am guessing some small electrical component has failed in this

BRAND NEW motor.

We have other boats and other motors.....but I just spent over TWO GRAND for this stinking little eight horse motor!

Call me picky' call me fussy' call me finicky and an old curmudgeon.....but I EXPECT better from a major outboard motor company.

I am #$$%#$^%%% and we might just sell it and get a nice old Johnson two stroke 6 horse.

Ha Ha Ha! One of FIRST things I did was pull and replace kill switch. But while attempting to diagnose problem I DID notice something that puzzles me: when you shift into forward there is a solid and definite "clunk", but when I shift into reverse it is a sorta mushy and indefinite feeling. Should I read anything into that?

I am not an outboard mechanic fellas but I DID take a six week course on OBM's and I HAVE been around them for more than 60 years.

The only thing i have learned about them for certain is that they are inventions of the DEVIL! LOL

Since motor has less than an hours running time it obviously is under warranty so I'm okay but I like to solve these mysteries. I'll report back when it is resolved.

I wonder if the deadman switch didn't fail or maybe one of the connections to it? Little switches like those are not made like they used to be and saw more than one switch fail sooner than expected.

Okay folks.....my 8 Yamaha, brand new, is running like new again! I am embarrassed to tell you that after all my problem solving anguish it turned out to be the same OLD thing......huge slug of water in fuel. When I had thought I drained fuel from bottom of carb I did NOT do it well enough. And I did NOT check the contents of the little 3-gallon tank. Bad mistake and an old fart trick. You would not believe the LOAD of water in that NEW/FRESH fuel: a small glass beaker had 1 inch of fuel sitting atop 3 inches of water! Unreal!

So I have been burned....AGAIN...by water in fuel. I have fought this battle before with a couple Honda 4-strokes and a Nissan 4-stroke.

This is a SERIOUS problem you guys so pay attention. We have now developed whole new way of handling our fuel around here. The old Alaska flying rule-filter, separate,filter again, treat and filter. Again! LOL.

I promised a follow up and there it is. We are now buying gas in small batches and storing it in a BIG clear glass container. It does not go into boat until the DAY we need it.

Oh.....and watch where you buy your fuel. I think that was part of the problem and we now KNOW where we WON'T buy fuel in Tumuli Country.

Peace, brothers.