• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

south dakota mully's/ whitetails

Im looking at doing my first out of state deer hunt. For the first experence I wanted to keep it rather close and inexpesive. Is SD the place to go for the price or should i be looking at other options? Should i go with an outfitter or is there enough "good" public hunting land out there to make a go of it? I was also wonderig if wisconsin, nebraska or kansas would be better options. Iowa would be amazing but quite expensive and would have to wait a couple years to get drawn.

We are also planning a So. Dakota mule deer hunt, on public land. We are going to hunt the grasslands in the north-northwestern corner. Did a North Dakota hunt last year in the Badlands and had a blast. Spot and ambush. My son got a nice muley and I came close. We did'nt get drawn this year, so South Dakota. Get a National Grasslands Map and a National Forest Map and get away from the road.

I was out there last fall, i went to an outfitter and did a DIY on his land had a blast. There is tons of walk in land out there but you will be putting lots of miles on your feet park at the gate and walk in. Its pretty wide open in lots of areas if you are doing the grass lands. If you are looking for a decent outfitter let me know and ill give you the name of the guy i went with his pretty much caters to what you want full service, DIY etc.

i dont remember how much i paid i think it was $1200, i stayed at there place in there bunk house area, they took me to and from stands and showed me around, help me do some spot and stalk, heck even fed me a few nights even though i brought my own food, they helped a lot.