• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Graph and flasher

hamms-scooter

I picked up a lowrance x51 pro and installed it on my boat. I also run a vexilar flasher on it with high speed transducer. I was hoping they would get along interference wise but was not the case. Vex wins that battle. the graph gets all messed up. Wondering what graph has different frequency to work with vex. Any of you run a vex with a graph? I know the transducers are overlaping cones but thought it would maybe work out....

You would need to get a dual frequency graph and run it at 83 khz instead of 200 khz. 200 khz is a better frequency for the inland freshwater we fish around here --- 83 khz will work but personally I do not care at all for the picture you get with 83 khz. The cone is too big and the resolution is too low and all stretched out and for my purposes I find it useless .......

If you don't mind my asking, why are running the vex and the x51 at the same time anyway? Do you feel it's giving you an advantage in some regard?

I have a FL-18 on the bow and a Lowrance graphs on the stern. I don't get much interference at all so I'm not much help to ya. My ducer is built in on the trolling motor though.

PJ - I always had to ask the guy in the back how deep it was. With the flasher up front I don't need to keep looking back or keep asking. Plus it looks cool grin

one option for a graph is a humminbird that can be switched to 455MHZ. I run a lowrance X510C (200mhz) right next to my humminbird 597ci HD DI(just set it to 455mhz or the down imagining(455 mhz also). doing this doesn't cause interference.

The 597ci HD DI is 455 khz in down imaging but is 200 khz in traditional sonar mode. In traditional sonar mode it should cause interference with your 510c if the cones overlap, unless you can change ping speeds and filter out the interference. Down imaging will not cause any interference.

I understand have sonars at the bow and transom, but in this case it sounds like OP is running 2 sonars next to each other at the same time, and I was wondering why he was doing that.

Perch Jerker,

look at the 597ci HD DI manual online (page 5). the regular 2D sonar can be set up for 200mhz (25 degree cone) or 455mhz (16 degree cone). also look at page 22 it show the split screen with both frequencies(look at the DI model). page 104 to 106 also(this is where they explain how to change it). Down Imaging can be set at either 455 or 800 mhz

Perch Jerker,

look at the 597ci HD DI manual online (page 5). the regular 2D sonar can be set up for 200mhz (25 degree cone) or 455mhz (16 degree cone). also look at page 22 it show the split screen with both frequencies(look at the DI model). page 104 to 106 also(this is where they explain how to change it). Down Imaging can be set at either 455 or 800 mhz

Interesting info, and a good point.

The info HB gave us at the dealer training this spring says that the 597ci HD DI is 200 khz only for traditional sonar ........ but what you say about what's in the manual is correct.

While looking at the manual I noticed another annoying inconsistency ----- on page 105 they're talking about selecting between 200 khz and 455 khz for the traditional sonar views, but then they say that's what will be displayed in the down imaging views. So if you read that literally, they're saying you can see 200 khz in the down imaging, but that's not correct either.

Have you run your traditional sonar on 455 khz, and what do you think of it?

I only tried it one time. it was a smaller coverage area but it seemed to pick things up with good detail. the one thing I didn't try yet was to do the split screen with the 2d set at 455khz and the down imaging set at 455khz also(there might be a interference there, but then again maybe not since the signal is coming from the same transducer). I guess in that case a person could switch the down imaging to 800khz and the 2d to 455khz. then a person could still run a 200khz flasher if they wanted to.

another thing I find interesting is that in the 2011 HB brochure they say it is a single beam (200khz) but yet it is not. so how did they mess this up.

We run into this kind of thing a lot ---- printed / published material not being consistent with what the product really does. It's frustrating for sure.

The reason I wanted to do this is because the graph has a delay... If i'm not staring at my vex 24/7 I miss fish because it is real time... I had an older eagle on there and it worked with that unit. I thought the new one would be fine with it since it is same company...lowrance... New one has surface temp which was my main reason for buying it. I spoke with a guy at the landing the other day who ran a silent 60 flasher for years on his boat. It ran great with his graph also and he like me wanted the delay of the graph to go along with the flasher. The graph died and he bought a new one lately and it will not work next to his 60. Said he has to find same graph he used to run to work with it. Although he is so used to his flasher he can tell bottom content far better with it then the gragh.