• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye spot questions

fishin

Hello. I am fairly new to the walleye scene. I haven't really fished for them much but I planned to target them a little more this winter. So I put my house in what I thought would be the perfect spot. I am on a steep drop off which is also a inside corner of a point. At one end of my house it is 16 feet and at the other 19. I have a 8x8 house. In this spot you can catch small perch all day long every day if you wanted to, they're small 4-6 inchers. We have caught a few small walleyes that were 9 inches long. So what I am wondering is how can I find and get the bigger ones to bite. Should I move shallower or deeper? I have tried jigging with spoons and minnows under bobbers. Thank you for any help.

The lake I am fishing is Sugar Lake in Annandale. It is 1,100 acres in size. The water is very clear, the weedline is at about 13 ft. Max depth of the lake is 70ft. There are numerous points, sandbars and underwater humps. I know that there are bigger walleyes in there, from the DNR site and talking to others on the lake. Our neighbor had his shack in a similar spot a couple years ago and pulled in a 10 pounder. Thanks for the help, I hope this info helps.

Need a little more info on the lake. Such as water clarity,structure,and depth. All the walleyes I have caught lately have come from 31' but all lakes are different.You are close to them catching small perch and walleyes I would suggest deeper, but could be more help with the more info.

SOMETIMES THERE IS JUST TO MUCH BAIT, SUCH AS YOUNG PERCH IN THE LAKE AND THAT CAN SLOW THE WALLEYE BITE CONSIDERABLY. CHECK THE LAKE YOU INTEND TO FISH IN THE WINTER DURING SUMMER WETHER BUY ASKING LOCALS OR SCANNING THE DEPTHS WITH SONAR, SHORELINE VISUALS AND SUCH.LOTS OF BAIT CAN MAKE A PARTICULAR YEAR WORST THAN THE PREVIUOS YEAR ECT.JUST DONT GIVE UP! GOOD LUCK.

I would try moving the house to bottom of the main drop off. OR if you go out in the evening I might try on top of the drop off. I have had the best luck doing these things, I'm not sure but I think that the walleyes might just be at one spot or the other. You might have been catching them as they move up shallow to feed. Thinking about it more I would try the deep end of the drop off, since the water is clear yo might even go down to 30feet or so. I hope this helps.><>
deadeye