• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Console steering-how do you troll?

rodbuilder

Hey all, I got a question for everyone. How the heck does one fish effectively out of a console equipped boat? I currently run a tiller model and couldn't be without it. Approximately 90% of my walleye fishing is done by backtrolling (live bait/crawler harnesses) either with the gas motor on windy days or with the electric on calmer water and has proven to be VERY effective. What the heck do the guys with the Console steering boats do when they fish live bait rigs? I can see the use of a console rig if your trolling Raps with the rods in rodholders or when jigging since you can use your bow mount for positioning, but how does one slow troll? I am asking because I am on the look out for a new(er) rig and I would like the comfort of a console but they just don't seem "fishable" for the aforementioned application (live bait/crawler harnesses). Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I use the bow mount trolling motor until it gets so windy that you can't maintain control, then move to backtrolling with the main motor. It works for me. And if you have to cover some distance it is more comfortable and you can see better.

I think it is all personal preference. I would never go without a counsel, yet I know people that wouldn't be caught dead in a counsel boat. I honestly cannot say one way catches more fish than the other...backtrolling or not.

------------------
Tonka Boy

My personal preference is for a console, but I also want to be pinpoint accurate. The bow mount trolling motor solved this dilemma. (not that you couldn't have a bow mount on a tiller rig) This year I installed a bow mount graph and was amazed at what I learned by having both transom and bow mounted electronics. I've also had the best year ever catching walleyes. Now I have to agree, in certain conditions the transom mounted four stroke might be better to troll with, but I can only take so much rough water back trolling. But under normal conditions, trolling with knowing what structure is under the bow and under the stern simultaneously is a tremendous advantage. So for me, the console with a good bow mount trolling motor would be my choice for overal comfort and effectiveness.

Thanks for the replies everyone! It is much appreciated! I think I will go with a tiller model when the time comes to buy. I NEED fishability from my boat as I spend WAY more time fishing than I do cruising around in it. I am thinking that a 90 HP honda with both transom and bow mount minn-kotas would work the best. That way, I can still back troll, but when it is really windy and backtrolling is to tough, I can forward troll with the bow mount as long as I get one with enough thrust to pull me along. THanks for all the input!

sorry to sound stupid but do you really build rods rodbuilder? id like to take up the hobby because i have a lot of free time in winter
thanks a heap

Fishgun,

I have been building rods for about a year. I took it up last winter/fall after the boat was stored. I like to ice fish but not as much as I like the open water so i had to find a hobby so I chose rod building because it would benefit my open water season. Have only built a few. Since fishing opener, I haven't touched it but will start again around Dec. 1. Its a good hobby and can be addictive. On the other hand, I have several rods valued at $250-$300 that only cost me about half that because I built them myself. I have built 1 musky rod for my brother, the rest have been for me! If you have any questions, let me know, I'll do my best to answer!

I have a console boat, that is also a tiller boat when walleye fishing....it's called a kicker motor.
I think I would much rather use my bow mount electric motor over the kicker now. I feel I feel I get more accuracy with the bow mount when I need to be spot-specific. Backtrolling the flats, that's another story.

CD, I DO realize the concept of kicker motors but there are 2 major factors involved here. 1) Price. A kicker would bring the boat cost up what...2k...2.5k maybe? I could buy a bunch of rod blanks or a VERY nice fish finder for that money; and 2) From what I have seen, there isn't a comfortable place to sit in the back of a boat that is console equipped....or is there? I know there is usually a pedestal mount there for someone in the back of the boat but it is usually raised up and referred to as a rear casting platform. One would have to severely crouch down to reach the tiller handle on the kicker for this method to work. Doesn't sound like a fun day of fishing to me. What thrust rating would one need for a bow mount on a 18-19 foot lund or warrior?

Rod/ I have 17 foot Lund wheel boat. There is a seat base on the back casting platform. I use a Minnkota Vantage 101# tiller. Its very comfortable and the handle is almost in my lap. Go to the boat show and sit in a few. Buy the biggest electric or kicker you can afford. Thats goes for the boat as well.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

RB, No, not that much money, about 1/2 of what you think for my Honda 15. There are used 4 stroke motors out there if you look for them. I use the "kicker" motor on my 14' duck boat too. It has multiple uses for the $$. I ultimately need the kicker for trolling cranks, can't do it with the big motor at 3.5mph being the slowest speed.

Dido what D-Man says, on my Alumacraft I have a seat base on the rear casting platform. I have a tiller extension for the kicker and sometimes I even run the kicker with my foot controlling the turns and speed. You'll have to try it in a boat to understand....
I also have ran an electric transom motor for backtrolling too, and had the kicker motor with it. Too much equipment, so the electric had to go. Some boats will not allow the kicker to be controlled from the back though, like some Crestliners I looked at.

Fishgun,

Cabelas has a rod building supply catalog. Go to their HSOforum and request that. Its a good place to start. Also, go to http://www.mudhole.com/ and read everything you can there. Also get their free catalog, it is very informative. This next step helped me the most. Go to amazon.com and search for rod-building books. I got one from there and it has helped a lot. I cannot remember who wrote it but it was only 8 bucks (or close to it)...well worth the money. After all, you don't want to spend $150 on a good blank and then wreck it because of a simple mistake. Also, try to find someone in your area that KNOWS rod-building and ask a lot of questions (they will arise once you get started!) If you are in the Bemidji area, go talk to Mark at Bluewater bait and tackle in Bemidji. He has been building rods for a lot of years and his experience surpasses any book. Hope this helps!

Rodbuilder I wouldn't just jump at the tiller if I were you. I was a tiller and boat control fanatic. I bought a 19' trophy 185 with a 150 and a 15 4-stroke kicker. My kicker motor is an electric start with a seperate set of controls at my side. I also have power trim an tilt on it. It is hooked up to my big motor so I steer it from the console. It is also hooked up to my main gas tank so when I use it I just flip a swith. With that set up I can back troll in some mighty big waves while others are getting soaked. With my bow mount trolling motor and two drift socks as well I can maintain the best control available depending on the situation and still have all the comfort of a console model. I fish a lot on big water so my partner(my wife) appreciates the comfort and I have not had to sacrifice any boat control.

Rodbuilder I wouldn't just jump at the tiller if I were you. I was a tiller and boat control fanatic. I bought a 19' trophy 185 with a 150 and a 15 4-stroke kicker. My kicker motor is an electric start with a seperate set of controls at my side. I also have power trim an tilt on it. It is hooked up to my big motor so I steer it from the console. It is also hooked up to my main gas tank so when I use it I just flip a swith. With that set up I can back troll in some mighty big waves while others are getting soaked. With my bow mount trolling motor and two drift socks as well I can maintain the best control available depending on the situation and still have all the comfort of a console model. I fish a lot on big water so my partner(my wife) appreciates the comfort and I have not had to sacrifice any boat control.

------------------