• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how much hummingbird nectar do you use per day?

B. Amish

I agree with grandma! Personally I just let them share the oriole feeders. They don't seem to mind, plus every once in awhile they like to sit and drink. The main thing is once the temps get into the eighties you are going to need to change your nectar every three or four days or it'll sour on you. Good time to clean the feeder itself while you're at it. Right now they are feasting on my columbine flowers which I never planted but seem to thrive here. You'll go through 2 or 3 times more in the fall when the young and females are storing up energy for the flight south. Good luck.

Mike

We are now using a feeder that handles about one quart. Even at peak 'bird season, there's no way they'll go through all of it before it goes stale. In spring/early fall I fill it about 1/3 full each time, and empty it and refill once per week. In summer, I put in about 1/5, also changing it once per week.

I have two humingbird feeders that the orioles use too (one pint, one quart). This spring we had more orioles than I have ever seen and I was mixing up another pint of nectar daily to use in the two feeders. Right now I think we have one pair of orioles that have stayed and a few hummers. We will use about a pint a week between the two feeders.

i've had a downy woodpecker hanging onto my hummingbird feeder lately. its rather humorous to watch. it sure looks like he's there for the nectar, unless he's really searching the inside for bugs? i've never had a bug problem on the inside of my hummingbird feeder though.