• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choosing our pup, Lab or Springer? Need advice!

waxworm09

We have finally narrowed our search two 2 pups. One is an 8 week old Yellow Lab female, the other is a 8 week old male Springer. The parents of both dogs are good hunters, we are trying to decide which to get. It will be our first hunting dog. Looking for a dog for about 80% pheasant and 20% waterfowl hunting, thats a good house dog. Ive done plenty of research on both breeds and know that they are both good at all types of hunting and good in the house, so I was hoping to get some advice from owners of both breeds on here to help us make our decision by giving positives and negatives of both breeds. Thanks!!

Don't know where you could be wrong with either. We just picked up our 4the Springer, and they all have been great dogs. Great around the house and in the field. Never used them for waterfowl, but they have all loved being in the water. Springers obviously not as adapted to retrieving in icey water, but I am sure they would give it their all.

I agree with the others that you can't go wrong either way. We just lost our springer last summer at 16 years of age. Best dog I have ever own. Fun for the kids and all business when in the field. I always teased my wife that is she could only be 1/4 as excited as this dog is to see me,

my life would be awesome!!

I had a similar issue years ago - although it was between a Springer and a Golden Retriever. I chose a Springer because there was a training group within driving distance. THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE. Every week my dogs are on birds - and are are sharp and great hunting dogs.

I guess I would do some research on that...