• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling motor problem

ANYFISH2

I have a 24v 65# MinnKota year unknown(haven't checked). The problem I am having is that when I deploy and turn on the motor at the foot pedal, motor does not turn prop, but does change direction. If I leave the switch on after 10-15 minutes motor will begin to work(most of the time, sometimes doesn't work at all) and run good until I stop and pull it up to move. Then the same thing happens again.

Any thoughts or other expierences with something similar? Trying to troubleshoot quickly. Thanks for the advice!

Inline breakers bad?

Foot pedal(switch)?

Motor bad?

Can Batteries cause this?

I would start with the foot pedal... if the inline fuse is bad you'd have nothing at all.

If you know someone who has a foot pedal that would work on yours I'd start with trying his / hers... or take the motor and pedal to motor clinic in Bloomington...

marine_man

Thanks guys, I do have access to a foot pedal that was where I intented to start. I can honestly say that every plug and wire has been wiggled from one time or another to no avail. Motor just works when it wants to.

As far as checking recepical I would assume I could do that with a test light. Correct?

How do I go about checking the wires from the plug to the motor. Test light driven through insulation?

After looking at prices of new motors I sure hope it's the foot pedal or plug/receptical!

Thanks again!

Marine man, it isn't a fuse, it is a small breaker box at the battery (conected to battery power cable off of that). If it overloads it trips for a minute or so than resets and allows current again. I am quiet sure you know want I am refering to. I was thinking that may have gotten weak and isn't reseting or premeturly tripping.

If that was what you where refering to, I appologize.

Thanks

Marine man, it isn't a fuse, it is a small breaker box at the battery (conected to battery power cable off of that). If it overloads it trips for a minute or so than resets and allows current again. I am quiet sure you know want I am refering to. I was thinking that may have gotten weak and isn't reseting or premeturly tripping.

If that was what you where refering to, I appologize.

Thanks

Like Marine Man said, If it were the breaker you wouldn't get anything. If the breaker trips it kills the power to everything, so you wouldn't have any steering either.

EDIT: on second thought, have you checked/replaced the seals on the motor? It sounds like you have water in the motor housing that is causing a short and the internal circuit protector is shutting off the motor until it dries out. Check around the propshaft for fishing line, and it might be a good idea to pull the housing cover to see if it is dry and replace the seals while you're at it.

Is this the auto stow/deploy model? If it is it sounds like you have an overheating issue on the circuit board that causes an internal breaker to trip whenever you deploy the motor. And resets after it was given time to cool down.