• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shift to Forward

FM_Mike

I read this in my Mercury owners manual on my new motor. Probably always been there for years, but it seems that Mercury recommends that when trailering your boat you shift your throttle into forward gear. Just wondering if anyone does this or remembers to do it. This was new to me and have never put it in forward with my old motor while trailering. Just thought this was interesting that they would make a point to put this in the manual if it was not important. Something new for me to remember when trailering with the new rig.

Mike

I always put my boat in gear before trailering, I wish I could say it was due to the instructions of the manufacturer but i just think it looks stupid to have the prop spinning as i drive down the road.

Supposedly the reason behind it is to prevent possible overheating of the lower unit. I could see this on a long trip but for the average short run to a local lake I don't think it would be a real issue. I could be wrong though. I've never concerned myself even when I drive the 450 mile trip to Lac Seul or the 260 miles to Vermilion and I've never had a problem with a lower unit. Maybe I've been walking on the edge?

This topic has been discussed at length. There are those that say the lower unit will overheat due to spinning, but with most motors - unless specifically urged to do so by the manufacturer - you don't need to shift into gear. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you could damage your motor by forgetting to shift back into neutral prior to cranking the motor.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could damage your motor by forgetting to shift back into neutral prior to cranking the motor.

Most motors have a neutral interlock switch that won't allow you to crank with the engine in gear.

marine_man