• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canoe w/trolling motor on MN river?

Hi all,

I have a canoe with a trolling motor (13' Sportpal square stern canoe with 36lb trolling motor) that I haven't taken out in a couple of years due to various things. In the past I have taken it to small local lakes for fishing/paddling, but I never have taken it on a river or been on the river at all.

I am in the south metro and am thinking about trying to go out on the MN river at either the Shakopee or Jordan boat launch ( I have a trailer for the canoe). I would like to use the motor to go upstream and then paddle/float/fish back downstream to the boat launch.

I am wondering from those with experience if this is something that is doable? The canoe is very stable, but I am sure the river is a different animal than small lakes. Will the 36lb motor be enough to get me upstream with the current? How concerned should I be about water level? How many big boats are out there that would cause big waves? Any other things I should be concerned about or other places that would be more suitable for what I want to do?

Thanks for your help!

I would wait until the river level drops and the current slows down to normal if your not familiar with the area. Its not the high water, waves or even the current itself, it's all the debris thats in it that makes it so dangerous. If something wrapped around your motor it could flip you and or drag you under. Most of the large heavy stuff is just under the surface and hard to see in the muddy water. Plenty of time in the dog days of summer to go exploring when its much safer. Remember to tell someone where you are launching and are going and est. return time. Bringing a buddy along isn't a bad idea either.

Sounds like a nice canoe you have, enjoy some flat water for your first couple trips.

Thanks for the reply and the info. Sounds like waiting a bit is a good idea. I will mostly likely be accompanied by someone when I go. I have avoided big lakes due to big boats and waves. Not that the canoe can't handle it, just not as enjoyable with the waves. Do you know if that stretch of the MN river has bigger boats going at high speeds when conditions are good or does the risk of submerged items slow things down some?

Thanks again!

Also, I have enjoyed all these forums with great info.

Even though that little Sportspal is a worthy craft, I would be hesitant about taking her out on a bigger river armed with nothing more than a trolling motor, at least early in the year like this. Too many variables, too many unknowns.

I really wouldn't even think about doing it now with the high water levels.

Here is the gauge for the Jordan launch:

Gauge

I'd wait until that thing was at about 15ft or lower before taking a canoe in the main channel.

For example the other night we noticed that in a few places we had a 175hp jet at 3000rpms going upstream and not even moving. just holding in place. The floating debris is really only a major concern when the water is rising. We have high fast water right now, but all that stuff is pretty much cleaned out.

As far as big boats, I'd stick to Chaska and upstream, you'll see bigger boats at Shakopee and down. Also keep in mind the launches you will be using. Some are spaced quite a bit further apart than others. I know of a couple of guys that will take 2 vehicles and put in at Carver, then float downstream to Chaska or Shakopee.

Also, just an FYI. There is an old abandoned railroad bridge in Carver that has caused some headaches over the past several years with logjams and fast current. Some times of the year (maybe even now) upstream travel is impossible unless you portage around it. Same with the Carver Rapids area when the water gets really low.

If you have a timeframe in mind that you want to get out and try it, send me a PM before you go. I'm in that area on the water 4-5 times a week, and I can update you on current conditions on water levels, floating debris, and what the launches are looking like.

Skip the trolling motor, float down stream to the next landing. I would not suggest having anything below your canoe that can catch snags. I run a trolling motor on my canoes while duck hunting, but would't feel comfortable having it attached while on the river...and i've got lots of river rapid experience.

Just let a buddy know that your heading down stream, and that you'll call him when you get to the next landing. Then just have your buddy pick you up and bring you to your car, you then drive your car back to your canoe.....OR the way i like to do it is:

Drop off you canoe at the landing, drive to the destination landing, have a buddy bring you to your canoe.