• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas tax rebate?

SkunkedAgain

If the non-oxy gas specifically states that it can not be used in a vehicle on the road, why are we paying gas taxes that are meant to fix the roads? I was on another forum where guys in Virginia were talking about saving their receipts for tax time when they can get a refund for gas used in boats. Why is the non-oxy here even taxed? We all use it in snowmobiles, boats, chainsaws, etc....not cars on the road!

I have a feeling this will end up much lower in the forums lol!!! When I sold the stuff bulk, farmers were able to skip out on the state tax but not the fed. I dont think we would ever see the refund you talk about do to the fact there would little way for the feds to "police" it. How would you prove it went into your boat, sno-mo, atv, etc...There are plenty in congress that want your tax dollars, good dam luck!!!

If the non-oxy gas specifically states that it can not be used in a vehicle on the road, why are we paying gas taxes that are meant to fix the roads? I was on another forum where guys in Virginia were talking about saving their receipts for tax time when they can get a refund for gas used in boats. Why is the non-oxy here even taxed? We all use it in snowmobiles, boats, chainsaws, etc....not cars on the road!

I think you raise a good question but like most of our tax laws, there is often little reality behind them.

It is taxed because it IS used on the roads, it IS sold at gas stations and IS dispensed from gas pumps. Classic cars and hotrods use it on the road. Leaded race gas is NOT intended or legal for on highway use and therefore does not include road tax.

The only thing you can do is save your reciepts and at the end of the year fill out the required paperwork and get your tax refund. Unless you go thru hundreds of gallons of fuel it's probably not going to be worth the trouble to get it back, especially if your paying an accountants time to do it.

What is the road tax anyways something like 80 cents a gallon?

Quote:
What is the road tax anyways something like 80 cents a gallon?

You mean the gasoline tax?

MN - $0.271 per gallon

Fed. - $0.184 per gallon gasoline, $0.224 per gallon diesel

Total combined in MN = $0.455 per gallon gasoline and $0.495 per gallon diesel.

Minnesota does allow you to do that, but it is my understanding that your tax returns better be pretty clean because this documentation is very open to fraud, especially if you are documenting alot of gas like a guide or tournament guy would. Good luck.