• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Formatting card

Just got our new D3100 and excited to get playing with it. After reading instructions I began to setup. Upon inserting the memory card you need to format it but when doing so and going through the steps I get a message for several second that says "formatting card" then returns to "memory card is not formatted, format card". Card is new out of package and came with camera kit. Any ideas of what the problem might be?

I've had that issue a few times. Try formatting it in your computer first. When you insert it in a card reader attached to your computer does it show up as a drive? If it does then right click on it and select format. Then try inserting it in your camera and format again. Sometimes that works...sometimes it doesn't. It could be a bad card,if you have another see if that one will format in camera. The preferable method when formatting is to do it in camera to preserve the file write structure the camera uses. Hope it works for you!

Thanks Dan,

I tried formatting on my computer as well. That also did not work so I downloaded SDformatter and tried. With that program I get a message that says the card is write protected whether I have the lock switch on or off. I am guessing a bad card right out of the package.

Sounds like a bad card, rare but happens. I am not sure which brand it is but I generally stick to SanDisk. With photos on the line I don't like to shave costs with off brand cards. Not saying they don't work but I feel better smile Memory cards are very cheap these days even for top brands.

Jim, it made no difference which position I had the switch in. Both ways message was "card is write protected"

Dan, the card is a DelkinPro 4GB supplied in the kit from Canoga. I have sent them an email regarding the problem.