• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transducer Placement

mpester

Is there an advantage to having the transducer on the trolling motor? I got a new Humminbird 596c HD last weekend. I want to mount it on the bow. If I have the old Lowrance and the new Humminbird running at the same time, am I going to get interference if both transducers are on the stern? I think I will mainly be using the Lowrance for the GPS and the Hummingbird for depth and fish finding so I could turn off the ping on the Lowrance. If I have both pinging, will I get interference like we get on the Vexilars and Marcums when ice fishing?

If you are using a sonar unit on the bow, locating the transducer on the bow motor has the advantage of letting you see what's under you and not what's under the boat 16' away or more. Following a weedline or depth contour by controlling a bow motor with the transducer on the transom would be next to impossible. By the time your sonar unit shows that you are moving shallower, you have already been doing so for the length of the boat. The time lag between where you are and when you realize your there becomes too great.

If your trolling motor is bowmount and especially if you have the built in transducer on it, I would definetly utilize that feature and run the other one off the stern. Is your boat a tiller and do you do most of your fishing from the back of the boat? Or are you up front a lot?

The boat is an Alumacraft Yukon tiller but I do most of my fishing from the bow. My trolling motor does not have the universal transducer so I will be attaching the new transducer to the lower unit of the trolling motor if I put it up front. I use the trolling motor for most of the trolling I do unless the wind is blowing to much.

I think you'll definetly want that transducer mounted on the trolling motor if thats what you use most of the time. Keep your other unit with GPS on the rear of the boat for when navigating at higher speeds or just looking for fish\checking out structure.