• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Breaking in an Optimax?

bigstick56

I just purchased a new boat and got a 115 optimax, I asked the dealer what sort of break in process there was, all I got was " run a tank though it". So for all you guys that have bought new motors what is the best way to break in a new motor. Rpm, loads, speeds, hours, any info would be great, ust trying to get all I can out of my investment. Thanks.

I'd read the manual, and do what it says. That is what we did with our 150efi, and it has been trouble free since '97. Also did what the manual said for our 50hp, and it has been trouble free since '82. Key thing most manuals will say (including my motorcycle break-in) is to vary the rpms and don't hold it at one rpm for very long, if at all, until the first x miles/x hours/x gallons.

Have fun with the new rig!!! smile Fun times for sure!

Yep, read your manual. There should be a section on motor break-in.

Make sure you vary your speed constantly. During the first hour, run it up to 2500 rpms or so, just keep going up and down, up and down with the throttle. Do the same thing in the second hour, but now run it up to WOT. Just don't hold it there for more than a few seconds, and keep varying your speed. For hours 3-10, I think they say to not run at WOT for extended periods of time. Good luck and have fun with your new boat / motor.

When you guys say vary the RPM's, is that like every min. change RPM or every 5 sec. what is the interval? Sorry I didnt specify I bought the boat but dont have it in my possesion yet, (they are still rigging the motor and electronics) I just wanted some sort of heads up. Always like to be prepared ya know...

My Suzuki required you to run an hour or two at 3000rpms, an hour or two at 4000rpms, and so on up until I could hit full throttle. I took a nice spin around Vermilion so the break-in was barely noticeable. I assume that your break-in will be similar but again, you'll want to read the manual thoroughly to avoid voiding the warranty.

Taken from the 115 Opti owners manual:

For the first hour of operation run the engine at varied throttle settings, the majority of time between 3-4500 RPM

Change engine speed every Two minutes, avoid idle for more then Ten minutes. Short bursts of full throttle up to Ten seconds are acceptable.

For the next 3 hours do not hold engine speed constant for more then Ten minutes.