• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So Freakin' Pumped

Just put in an order for a 2011 Creek Company Super Sport XR1.. I cannot wait for Cabela's to call me and go pick it up... this is gonna make the spring/summer/fall that much better... gringringringrin

If anyone has suggestions for good toon additions or mods feel free to give me a couple pointers

are you planning on puttin a TM on it? if so there are 2 things. that battery pan is not gonna be all that great due to putting the battery plus the TM weight to far back.

what i did in the back of my toon was run several nylon cam lock straps around the frame across the back. then cut a piece of thin plywood to lay down for a battery pan. this way i can have the battery right behind the seat so its more centered. makes for better weight distribution.

then i also strap my toons father back then how it illustrates. this way theres more toon towards the back to compensate/balance out the weight of the battery & tm.

then a mod i'm going to do this year is for the front where the frame & feet rest area is. i'm going to run cam lock straps across and add another thinner piece of plywood for a standing deck. if that works out well then i got a couple ideas using diamond plate instead.

i use the seat to stand now but being able to shift weight and have more room to move will be a big plus for me. verses always basically standing straight legged on the seat which gets tiring after hours & hours.

i'm sure they have vinyl bladders in the toons. so be very mindful of leaving it in direct sun on land due to heat expansion. heat expansion isn't an issue on the water.

i see it comes with oar locks which is good. cuz you lose an oar you'd find yourself in a real pickle without a TM.

not in a hurry to buy a TM.. if i find a steal on HSO-Classifieds.. then i might end up with one sooner than later.. definitely not a priority i have no problem with rowing or kicking.. i'll enjoy just to get out and be on the water too...

A guy posted somewhere on the web that he coated the bottom of his toons with plasti dip.. is this a good idea?

since your toons aren't pvc coated denier it may be something to consider. i don't know enough that way to say for sure with the product. but in general it would certainly give the bottom of your toons extra protection.

i myself would really consider it. even though mine are pvc coated, its a thought to resurface mine in time if i notice the bottom getting boogered up excessively.

very cool man!! that PFD looks oddly familiar ;0) the oaring is a bit goofy at first. once you get coordinated with it you can power move it pretty well.

i use a 8# mushroom anchor and works just dandy. i tie the rope to one of the rounded bars that the oars mount on. if its a bit windy i'll drop anchor, fan cast then move & repeat.

another idea since you aren't going to use a tm right now is get a milk crate and tie it on the pan. then you could attach some pvc tubing for rod holders and put the pump inside the crate.

its sure nice to be ON the water with these though vs bank beating.

Yeah I'm planning on taking a milk crate from work one of these days.. though i was able to securely lay my rod between the 'toon and my seat

it also comes with an anchor system.. you can see the rope bag below the seat in the first picture... and then it goes under the seat and drops before the transom mount...

I guess the only question I got is how do i determine how much anchor rope i should carry?

mine came with an anchor system that runs from the front to the back. but the pully where the anchor sits was in the back close to the TM mount. so i just tie off my rope to that bar and have the anchor sittin on one of the toons. i need to make a holder for it in front or something.

i mainly bass it & typically pretty shallow so i just normally have 25' of rope with me.

i used to lay my rods that way but they ended up bangin around to much. so in the back where i made the plywood battery pan with those cam lock straps under it i mounted a couple rod holders. then i can grab & put them back while standing or sittin easy enough.

heres my set up, i had just came in from a day being out. i took the one bag the toon came with off the one side and attach my flambeau bag on in its place.

toonmazaska.jpg

The rule of thumb that I've heard for anchor rope length is about seven times the depth you're anchoring in. So, 10 feet of water would take 70 feet of rope. Obviously, if you have a lighter/ smaller profile boat and/ or a heavier anchor, you can get by with less rope.