• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Been playing

Thanks, I bought it on Friday. Now I need to get the 55-200 lens.

If I would have waited a couple of days I could have gotten a better deal on the D5000 with both lens' from a box store but don't feel right about taking the camera back to the camera store I bought this one from.

Thanks Swimmer. I'll post a couple more from today, this first one is my favorite I think:

First one is just converted from RAW to jpg.

full-14352-7780-golden_eagle_1.jpg

This one is cropped and I used the auto adjust forthe brightness

full-14352-7781-golden_eagle_2.jpg

I think the Nikon feels a little better in my hands.

That, and how well you like the controls, are important factors determining which camera line to invest in. All the top brands are excellent and comparable performance and image quality wise, so the one that fits the hand and has controls best suited to you should be the one you go with. smile

That, and how well you like the controls, are important factors determining which camera line to invest in. All the top brands are excellent and comparable performance and image quality wise, so the one that fits the hand and has controls best suited to you should be the one you go with. smile

That's the biggest piece of advice I took from these boards from all of the "which camera should I buy" threads.

As far as my experience with the Nikon D3100. I like it. It has a good feel to it. Controls are easy to use with the exception of the eyepiece focus control (which you only use in complete manual mode) which happens to be right next to the view finder. Really akward. It has plenty of pre-programmed modes so the beginner (like me) can get out there and take some pretty good photos. I liked the price which is why I ultimately chose this one. I have since added the 55-300 lens to the 18-55 that came with the camera.

I originally wanted to go with the Canon T3i which I think is a better camera but also $300 more expensive in the base package. I saw one package deal with the 18-55 and 75 - 200 lenses for $1049 and didn't jump on it fast enough.

If money is an issue go with the D3100 and I think you will be happy. If you have the cash I would look at the T3i really close or wait for the D5100 to come out and see if it feels right and has the right set of features you are looking for.

Kyle

Nice setup! I look forward to seeing your photos in here as well. I was going to go with the Tamron version of the Nikor lens I eneded up buying but couldn't find one close to where I am working right now. I can see myself definitely getting addicted to bigger glass but for anything bigger than 300 I am going to have to save my pennies laugh

I love this forum, I have learned and re-learned a ton of information from these folks.

Kyle

Did you get the software disc from the guy when you bought the camera? The NX2 sw that came with mine is decent at resizing and some of the adjustment processes. You can download it from Nikon for free I think.

I mainly use it only to convert files from RAW to jpg, adjust the sizes down so I can post them on here and brightness adjustment. I want to get a better piece of sw though.

Did you have to pay for the class or is it a free one because you purchased from them? The place where I bought my camera is having a class at the end of the month but I will be back in MN when it's happening. Do you know what they are charging for the class you are taking?

I get 4 classes free because I bought from them. Each class retails for $40 each. You can go to [Note from admin: Please see forum rules before posting again. Thank you.] and see times and locations for each of their classes. There are several options (Edina, Burnseville, Roseville, Maple Grove, etc) for Digital SLR 1, 2, & 3.

Let me know what you think of the classes and if I can ever get off the road long enough I will look into taking a couple.

Well---just finished 1st class yesterday. I was pleased with content and presentation. Started with a good base to build upon. The goal is to get you away from SCENE and AUTO modes as soon as possible. I'm taking the next class at the end of May after I have a chance to practice on my own 1st.