• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weak Stream

UMC

Had the water pump replaced on my 2002 yamaha 60 hp tiller a couple weeks ago as preventative maintenance and since the stream coming out the peehole of the motor seemed a little weak last fall. Took her out for the first time today and it peed well for awhile but I noticed that it was a weak stream/kind of spitting out towards the end of the day. I suppose I should hook it up and flush it, but it seems odd since I just had it replaced. Thoughts?

Try taking the motor cover off and disconnecting the rubber tube that connects to the outlet. I have an '04 Yamaha TLRC and sand gets stuck in the plastic grommet that holds the rubber tubing to the lower part of the motor housing where the water exits the motor. I use one of those thick plastic twist ties that comes in the toy packaging to clean it out. I keep one in the boat and do this once every season as precautionary maintenance. You may have not needed to replace the impeller. Could have just been blockage. Hope this helps.

Yamaha has a good solid stream with these motors, even at idle, heck I had a pull start and it was peeing while I was cranking.

Anyway, I would follow the suggestions above, then if it does not improve you could ask where you had it worked on, they might have an idea, or they might check it for you.

As a precautionary step, you could remove the cowl and feel the head if it's hot, but BEWARE there is moving parts that might not be visible when running, be sure you know where you put your hands and be careful. Head should be warm but not too hot you cannot keep your hand on.

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking I'll try run a pipe cleaner through there and then I'll hook it up to the hose to flush it. As valv said, the motor normally has a very strong stream even at idle. I did check the temperature while I was running it by touching it and it seemed to be ok but I'd rather have it running perfectly. I'm sure if I brought it in it would pee good for them and I'd pay $100 bucks in labor for them to watch it run, but such is life.