• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nikon D3100

Anyone own/use one of these cameras? How do you like it? Does it take good fast action shots?

My wife and I are looking for a new camera, and I see that two of you have the Nikon D3100. This is the same one we are looking at. How does it do on moving objects? My 7 year old daughter is in figure skating and we want a camera that will zoom in nice and take good photos while in competition, but not blurry ones.

Thanks

ib_jigged,

Sounds like you have a camera in mind. I don't own a Nikon but could offer some advice on what you are attempting to accomplish shooting indoor sports. First you might take a look at the top of this forum and browse through some photography basics many members have contributed to. It will give you a start on the concepts of very basic photography.

Most modern DSLR's will be able to shoot in the lower light of skating rinks. They have the capability to shoot in lower light by having a higher ISO. This gives you the ability to help freeze high speed action. The other requirement will be a lens that can take advantage of the low light capability of the camera by letting enough light in. The 70-200/2.8 lens is a highly regarded lens for shooting in rinks. All of this comes at a cost. A good indoor sports lens such as the one mentioned will be $1000 to $2000 and on up in price. There are really no shortcuts to indoor action shooting like you want to accomplish.

Do some reading on the basics and please post back here if you need more answers.

I too am looking at this camera, actually just ordered from Canoga. I remembered many of you had recommended Canoga a while back so hopefully that is still the case. I went with a kit they have a special on now. Body, 18-55 VR lense, 55-300 VR lense, case and 4G memory all for $884 after $250 instant savings. Hopefully I didn't make a mistake for an introductory setup.

I recently bought this camera and I like it alot. It is my first DSLR and it has its limitations but it has proven to be capable of taking indoor action shots. My daughter does gymnastics and I have been able to take pictures of her floor routine with satisfactory results.

I still need to learn more about choosing different settings for different situations, but the camera itself does reasonably well.

You will really like the 55-300. I have the 55-200 and it doesn't quite reach out there. I would really like a wider ranging lens cause I feel like I have very few uses for the 18-55.

Powerstroke, I had the same thoughts about the 18-55 lens as soon as I got my hands on the camera and played with it. I went and bought the 55-300 lens a week later. I can't tell you the difference between the 55-200 and the 55-300 because I haven't used the 200 but I really like the 300.

I can see where a guy could get addicted to big glass fast though...

We've had the camera just over a week now and we too really like it. Lots to learn with the different settings for different conditions. I'd like to take some sunset photos across the lake but need to know what settings to use. Have got some nice shots of a nesting eagle and various other birds. The 55-300 is really nice to get in closer, just need to be super steady to zoom in on the photo and retain clarity. Will probably get a tripod or monopod.