• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Junco movement

Wayne Ek

Must have been a major junco movement overnight. We awoke to 100's upon 100's of them in the yard and around the area, with a couple of robins tossed in.

OK Wayne, would you please explain what a junco is? Is this some type of worm?

Sniffer

OK Wayne, would you please explain what a junco is? Is this some type of worm?

First clue that it's a bird might come from which forum this was posted in. winkgrin

That's cool, Wayne. We've had two juncos spending the winter at our feeders up here in Ely. It's usually around Easter when they come back through in numbers. smile

Mine showed up last sunday. They have been cleaning up the seeds left over from the winter all over the yard. I have about 50 of the junco's working the yard every day. I dont rake up the seed/shells till they have done their job and cleaned up what they can.

On another note, the pileated woodpeckers are back in thier tree cavities behind the house after a 2 year hiatus. The calls are unmistakable, and one has been at the suet feeder all winter long!

Cool customer's for being in the sparrow category.

It's fun to watch them come in as a pack similar to the way Chickadee's do but on the ground instead. I also love how they hop back and forth to kick up food. I have had some white throated sparrows at the feeders lately and noticed the same hopping move in their feeding behavior.