• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm confused! More used boat questions?

fishingguy

As stated in the title, I'm confused. Been looking for a used boat. Searching on all the popular for sale sites. I guess I've been out of the loop for on boats for longer than I thought. Can someone give me the differences between some of the many models out there.

For example: in Lund, the explorer, the angler, and the mr. pike? 1625? 1675? 1700? 1775? ect..

Alumacraft: navigator, Tournament pro, and the magnum? 160? 165? 170? 175? ect..

All the boat would be from say 1997 to mid 2000's.

Have done a lot of google searches with little info on used rigs. I'd sure appreciate some one shedding some lite on the whole size, difference, motor rating, ect.. Thank you to any and all advice!!!

I've had the same 79 Starcraft for a long time and I'm not real up on the different brands.

The numbers refer to size. 1625, 1675, 1700 = 16.25', 16.75', 17' and so on and so on.

As far as motor rating, if it's rated for say, a 70 HP motor then a 70 HP motor is the max size that should be put on the boat. You don't have to put on a 70. You can put on a 50 if you want to, but 70 is the biggest that should be installed.

That's about where my knowledge ends. Not much help, I know. Hopefully some other fellas in the know will chime in with better 411 than what I just gave ya.

One thing to mention about used boat packages; some dealers keep thier boat "package" prices down by underpowering them; i.e. a 90 HP motor on a boat rater for 150 max. (or something like that) And it doesn't just effect speed; many boats will have problems getting on plane when underpowered, especially when you get a couple guys and gear in them.

Guys will buy these packages, use them a couple years and find they're just not happy with the setup, but it's way to early to repower...so it hits the used boat market.

80% of max is a pretty good rule of thumb...I'd shy away from anything that didn't meet that criteria.

Dimensions and designs.

The Angler has thinner gunnels with limited side storage if any and more of what I call a standard aluminum design.

The Explorer replaced the Angler and has more decking and some side storage on the gunnels but not all the way to the top. It's a current model that can be found on Lund's HSOforum.

The pike is similar but I think it is narrower.

The Navigator is similar to the Explorer with side storage part way up in the gunnels. They both have the full casting deck in the bow without a walkway.

The Tournament Pro is different than the boats above. It also has the font casting deck without the walkway but has thick gunnels with storage all the way to the top. With about a six inch wide gunnel at the top that is topped with carpet.

If I remember correctly the gunnels are taller so you will be higher in the water versus other boats listed here. The trade off here is drier ride for arguably more difficult boat control in the wind. I know the trophy is taller than the navigator and I think the trophy replaced the tourney.

I’m not familiar with the Magnum but it looks like it’s in between the Tourney and others, with thicker gunnels with storage to the top but possibly shorter gunnel height.

Besides these dimensional differences, there are design and accessory differences like seat placement, live well count, size, and locations, interior lighting, and battery, rod, and general storage options.

You need to see them in person to decide what is right for you. Kick some tires.

You might also want to add the Lund Fisherman to your list.

One more thing, the Alumacraft Tourney Pro 175 is longer than the others measuring in at 17' 11". One inch short of 18 feet. Where the others on your list will probably be closer to their stated sizes.

You might also want to add the Lund Fisherman to your list.

Ok, one more for your list. I forgot about the Dominator, went to the sport show today. grin

The Dominator is like the Navigator but with wide gunnels to the top of the rail.

More for you to ponder.

I love spending other people's money. whistle

As stated in the title, I'm confused. Been looking for a used boat. Searching on all the popular for sale sites. I guess I've been out of the loop for on boats for longer than I thought.

Have done a lot of google searches with little info on used rigs. I'd sure appreciate some one shedding some lite on the whole size, difference, motor rating, ect.. Thank you to any and all advice!!!

Hey fishinguy one thing that I have done when looking at used boats (especially private sales) when you are getting serious to buy one you like offer to pay to have a local marine mechanic look the boat and motor over before agreeing to buy. Walk away from ANY seller that won't and the 100 or so dollars could be the best you ever spent should any unseen issues arise during inspect.