• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to camp???

walleye 4 me

I am hoping to get my family into camping this summer. My wife and I went a few times before we had kids and had a blast. I live in Grand Forks, ND and am looking for a place within about 2-3 hours. We would be using a tent. Needs to be very family friendly and preferably have a play ground and nice beach for swimming. Also have nice clean showers and bathrooms. Finally, it must have good fishing! Would love to have my 2 and 4 year old get into good numbers of sunnies. Don't need to be big as don't plan on keeping them, just plentiful and easy to catch. Any suggestions??? thanks

Any of the lake around Grand Rapids would be good fishing and camping for a family. I have personally been going to Spider lake (Resort) for the past 15 years and there is always something biting and its a smaller lake you can fish even if its windy. Not sure about travel time for you but IMO its worth the drive even for me 5hrs...

Dan, is there alot of sunnies in spider lake? That is may main concern. Both of my kids have actually had pretty good experiences fishing for walleye but I want to get them into some non stop sunny action to keep them motivated. It would be a good 4 hr drive from GF. Will have to see what gas prices are doing come summer. The suburban pulling the boat really put a dent in the vacation fund!

dan, does it have a nice swimming area and decent showers? Found there web site but it doesn't have much info. Looks like it could be a nice place to take the family though. My 2 and 4 year old kids have been "camping" for the last three weeks already. They sleep in there sleeping bags on the floor instead of in there beds like they are camping. Getting excited for summer!!!

Hey GF guy...I too am looking at getting into a little camping this year. My boys are 10 & 13 and I'm thinking it's something they should experience more as well.

I used to fish and camp on Pike Lake out east of Waubun. It's a smaller lake without all the jet skies and etc. and it used to have a fairly good population of crappies and 'eyes. I'm going to try it again this year. It's nothing super fancy, but if I remember right, it had a little swimming area for the kids and ...hmmm...can't remember about the bathrooms.

Right down the road is Bad Medicine. I don't remember the name of the resort, but there is one that has remote camping for tents and had docks for some of the sites if I recall. I was going to try that one as well. I know they catch a few 'eyes out there after dark, which is something I like to do.

Another option for you might be Maplewood State Park over by Pelican Rapids. I believe there are some panfish lakes within the park and it's got a swimming beach, nice campsites, etc too.

How about Hayes Lake State Park up north of Thief River? I've never been there but I've heard it's pretty nice.

Itasca State Park is my favorite (15m N of Park Rapids). A ton of facilities and campsites, can rent their boats, and the headwaters of the mississippi for the kids to play in. Lots of different trails and nature centers/areas to explore as well. Numerous lakes in the park that are known for their panfishing.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/itasca/camping.html