• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

getting rid of unwanted vegitation.

reinhard1

i have an area that is getting overgrown by rasberry looking thorny vine like plants. i want to clear this area. i would pull one out and the roots are very long and seem to never end. i was thinking as soon as all the snow melts from this area and the area is flat, that i would put a double layer of black landscaping material on top of the area or is it better to put some kind of round up stuff on it. eventualy i want to put rose plants in this area and cover it with wood chips.. thanks. good luck.

If they are raspberries they will sprout new growth from the roots well away from your current growth. Snip close to ground as level as possible so you can put roundup on it with little run off. I put a several applications on the stumps as long as it keeps sucking it up, over the next 6 to 12 hours. That way it is absorbed into the roots and most likely will not resprout from the roots. 2 weeks later you can rototill it without starting a bunch of new growth from the root fragments. This was the only way we could move the raspberry patch at our old house and not get new volunteers.

Because we have raspberries in an area along the edge of our new garden, every spring I cut out root bound volunteers and pull up the long strings of roots that love to encroach on the rest of the garden. Cannot beat fresh raspberries on the morning cereal ;-) so we put up with the "spring cleaning" of the rest of the garden.

i have rassberries as well and lots of them. but this stuff has the thorny vines just like rasberries but are not the same. the leaves are darker and the fruit is totaly different. i dont know if you can even eat them, so i dont. i will do the stump deal with round up as soon as the snow is gone and a little dryer. how's that sound? thanks good luck.

The active ingredient in RoundUp is glyphosate. Its mode of action requires it to be applied to growing foliage. It is a contact spray and has no below ground activity. I doubt the chemical solution will adhere to the stemmy stalks of this plant, so tank mix with AMS or maybe dish soap to help the spray stick to the leaves.

Personally I would consider a product called Crossbow because it is labeled for the control of woody plants, as well as annual and perennial broadleaf weeds. I have used this several times with remarkable results. I treated 6 foot box elder trees that wilted within 12 hours and were crispy dry in a week. More importantly, I am 90% sure it can be purchased without a permit. It is a Dow Chemical Co offering, check HSOforum for local availability.

I have use Glyphosate on cut stump applications before and it works just fine for that application. I recommend cutting it right after it leaves out and treat it. The plant will be starving for any nutrients that it can get because it used the majority of its energy reserves for producing leaves.

Another product I have used even more is Garlon 3 and Garlon 4.