• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tripod help?

What would be a good tripod for a canon 500mm? I really like the Wimberly Tripod Head II, but need some help on what kind of Tripod that would be compatible with it, or any other suggestions would be appreciated. I'm flexible.

Thanks Mike

Mike, what's your budget? Lots of options out there in both aluminum and carbon fiber. Alum = more affordable. Carbon = lightweight.

I'm currently running a Manfrotto 055XPROB, which has a max rate of 15-16 lbs. It's not too heavy (it's black aluminum), and with the pivoting center column is great for macro or any other awkward positions. It'll handle the 500/body just fine. I've put the Canon 500mm and 600mm on it with a ballhead rated for max 12 lbs and it's worked well in both cases, though I'm very careful with the 600 because the total kit is heavier than the ballhead rating. With the Wimberly and that lens, it would be enough tripod. That tripod goes for about $180.

Just one example. Many others out there. I mention Manfrotto because, while I've used other brands, Manfrotto is the only tripod/monopod line I've purchased for my own camera kit. If you want to be more mobile, check out the Manfrotto 680B monopod. Handles over 20 lbs, and it's my go-to monopod for the big Canon lenses.

The 055XPROB and 680B, with a couple Manfrotto 486/488 RC2 ballheads, are all the support I need for everything I do.

Thanks Steve, I was hoping you'd put your input to my message. You've never steered me wrong yet! I'll look at the suggestions you made. I currently have Monfrotto tri and monopods but they are not stout enough to handle that much weight. When the stock market was in the toilet I said to myself, if I can get my money back I'm selling and going in the lens market, so now I'm like a college student with a new credit card.

Thanks again

Mike

Quote:
I'm currently running a Manfrotto 055XPROB

I have been using this same tripod for the last three or four years. It has a nice combination of features, weight and usability. I've always used Manfrotto and Gitzo with nothing but satisfaction.

After reading this thread I ordered a Manfrotto 055XPROB and 496RC2 ballhead, which just arrived today. WOW what a difference over the super cheap tripod I had been using (which I originally bought years ago just to support a chronograph). The Manfrotto is rock solid, even with the Sigma 150-500mm on it there is zero droop or sag once locked on target.

It was a great suggestion Steve and Dan.

My setup is a manfrotto ball head on a slik 700DX Pro. It was my compromise as this is a very reasonably priced tripod, just heavier than some of the others I looked at(just the legs can be found for $90) The tripod is very big and heavy, but can handle a ton of weight. Handles my gripped body and 500mm lens no problem. It also will set up over 6ft tall if need be, very nice for shooting birds or anytime you may want to angle your shot upwards and not have to kneel down. Not for everybody but works for me.