• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So it's been on my WANT list for a while and I haven't really been watching for them lately but the price of a used Canon 100mm 2.8 (non is) is getting close to my price range. As soon as graduation is done I am off to the U-P for about 6-8 months and I want something to shoot up close with plants, flowers, ect. I have used one for a little bit in the past with minimal luck but I think if I had it I would use it and be able to improve my shooting. What do you guys think? What are some other choices as far as macro lenses go? Am I better off to pick up some kenko tubes instead? Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Some people like to shoot with tubes, personally I don't. I have the 100mm f/2.8 and really like it. As with anything else, the learning curve is high, and in this case really high. Biggest factor that I had to get used to was the very narrow depth of field that you get with macro lenses (and tubes for that matter). To get good, clean shots the setup is meticulous and time consuming with tripods, small apertures and slow shutter speeds. VERY satisfying use of time, however.

I use my tubes quite a bit, but just sold my Canon 25. I still have my 12, which I prefer for my lens lineup. They are not the easiest thing to use, but can get some really cool results. I haven't ever used one of the true macro lenses but have been considering renting one for a weekend. Though with the tube on my 50 1.4, I am pretty happy.

4975426188_337714727c_z.jpg

Rebel XT - Canon 12mm Tube - Canon 50 1.4 - f5.0 - 1/200th - ISO 400

The tubes are macro, budget style. If you go that route, get the best Kenko set. They are about $170, and there are three of them, so you can really get a good macro effect by stacking them, or vary the effect by choosing which single or combination works in each situation.

I used the Kenko set quite a lot. Then, if you buy a dedicated macro down the line, you can use the tubes with that and REALLY zoom in on things. smile