• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New older boat!!

shawn1982

So I just bought a new boat....we have a 1959 14 foot Hiawatha with a ten horse johnson (which now is for sale!) And we just bought a 1971 18 foot starcraft with a 100 horse johnson! So a definate upgrade... It needs some (well lots) of work which i dont mind. So i started this thread cause i know i am gonna have a lot of questions. I soon plan on getting pics up so everyone see can see my progress. So here is my first question...being an older boat and probably having a few different owners its got a lot of holes from depthfinders and misc accesories people have put on it...what is the best apoxy out there to fill in these holes? Or ideas of how to fill in these holes? Thanks in advance everyone!

So I just bought a new boat....we have a 1959 14 foot Hiawatha

I can't help you on your question, but my first boat was a 12 foot Hiawatha that I bought in 1981. It was made out of aluminum that seemed about a 1/4 inch thick and was a chore to lift into the bed of my truck. I never did know how old it was, but it came with a early 1950's 5 hp Johnson Sea Horse. Judging by the stack of license stickers on the boat it had to be a early 1950's model. I had to spin the engine around for reverse. I've never seen or heard of another Hiawatha since until your post.

Ok so here it is!!! I have not done a single thing to it yet do to work but I am starting to get ideas of what I want to do. I cant wait to customize this thing to my liking!! I have to sell my other one first so i have some money to do somethings to this one!!

Here are some pics of the progress on the boat. In the second picture you can see the dash of the boat. What kind of material do you guys think that is? I want to replace the whole dash and am looking for material that will bend like that. Any suggestions or do i just leave that alone and replace everything underneath it? full-25935-6995-dsc01381.jpg

full-25935-6996-dsc01382.jpg

full-25935-6997-dsc01383.jpg

full-25935-6998-dsc01384.jpg

Ok so I have most of my boat ripped apart. I am now thinking about materials for the new floor. What do u guys recommend for the floor. Am I ok with just using 3/4 inch treated plywood or do I go with the $50 a sheet marine stuff. Also is it ok to glue carpet on first then lay the floor and fasten it down? Thanks

Here are some pics of the boat. We havent gotten much done on it in the past few months due to work and planning our wedding. But we are getting there. We just sold our other boat so we can now get a little more done to this boat with that money. So how are we doing? Any suggestions or things that you have done to your boat to customize it would be appreciated. I do plan on putting a livewell at the very back and then between that and the wall on both sides there will be seats. Kinda like how the old inboards were cept my livewell will be where the motor would be.

From the outside, that is one, clean looking boat! From the inside, not so much. The two of you will be able to look back with pride (and relief) when you finish it up and get to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Good luck and keep us posted with pics on your progress.

What do you all think?? I got the things done that I NEED to get done to get er out on the water. But I still have a lot of things i want to do. I am going to put a dash/center counsel in it and wire everything to a control panel. Also put a radio and marine radio in it. In the back I am going to order a custom livewell that will sit infront of gas and battery. On each side of the livewell there will be a seat that will mounted to a box. the box will be hinged so you can flip forward to get the battery and gas tanks. On the inside of the box I will have three slots for plano boxes that will just be straped in! Lots to do yet!! Any suggestions would be great too!!