• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wireless fence

Abndoc

I just purchased the Smartdog fence. When I was reading online it sounds like the complaints ran from battery life and life of the collar itself. I figure since they make field training collars they have to have a somewhat good, waterproof collar. I also like the wire breakage alarm and it came with 1000 ft of wire. We have a nasty gopher problem where they have in the past ate thru my spinkler line. I figure they would eventually chew thru the frence wire too.

Go ahead and say it, that last sentance says it all. I didn't even look at the wireless one since they worked off a radius. Would not work in my yard since my 3 acres is long and narrow. I did read there were some weak zones where the signal passed thur the building.

You got it...that's what we were told too. I think the problem was with trying to get the signal through steel siding. We went with the Innotek IUC-4100 and enclosed almost six acres. It works great and couldn't imagine doing it any other way if you have the space.

There are some pretty good reviews online. Just google DIY dog fence.

I have the wireless fence and we like it. At our cabin it is a big lot and we can have it on the highest setting so the dog has a big area to run. At home in town the lot is smaller so the only down fall is to get enough range in the front and back yard the area goes into the neighbors yards on both sides by a few feet. I am lucky and have good neighbors that i know so it is not a big deal. It all depends on the size and shape of your lot. I know a friend of mine actually had the transmitter on his deck under a rubbermaid tote to maximize the area in his back yard and had no issues. the transmitter failed after about 5-6 years but he said by that time the dog didn't need it anyway. If it strayed they just put the dead collar back on and the dog was fine.

They work ok, I have had some experience with it. Only bad part is your always having a diameter, you cant ever lay out the area you want the dogs in. ALWAYS a circle.

oh and if you take the dog for a ride, take the collar off smile when you drive through the zone they do not like it much. I learned the hard way forgetting to take off the collar

I've had the Innotek wireless for 10 years and it's worked fine for our situation, we are on our second collar. I have my controller in the garage. They learn very quickly what the boundary is the flags help too our dog paid real close attention to the flags.