• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Feeder question ... Deer

Wayne Ek

Here's a question for you. We have 5 feeders out and the past weeks when it was so cold we ran thru the feed. We also have deer, I counted 17 at one time this week. Most of our feeders are hanging and way to high for the deer. One however is a pole feeder and is one of the old green squirrel proof (it's not!)kind. I know the deer are ground feeding around that feeder. Now for the question. Last week when it was so bitterly cold I watch 2 deer licking at this all metal feeder in an attempt to get some sunflower seeds from it... how come they don't get their tounge stuck to the metal when they lick cold metal? I would guess it is the same as a kid sticking their tongue on a railing or cloths pole.

I have a automatic feeder from Remington and it has a metal box holding the motor and battery. I soon found out I didn't hang it high enough to be completely out of the deers reach. They have figured that if they use their tongue they can reach it enough to make it rock back and forth. The rocking spills more feed and they are happy deer. Its actually pretty fun to watch so I have left it just with in their reach. Their tongues never get stuck either so my guess is its the coating over the metal. When its really cold the metal box is covered with frozen deer slobber.

I think the deer will jump up to get at something too. I know they will lay down! We have a crib feeder surrounded by hog wire so the deer cant get at the corn and clean us out. We cut a hole in the bottom for the pheasants to walk right in. The deer will lay down and stick their head through the hole and ease forward to try and get a cob