• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"A Battle Across the Border in Recruiting" NY times article

cbrooks

Interesting read, both leagues have their place and really it's up the individual to decide.

My only issue is with the NCAA, they really handcuff the coaches because they have to wait for a recruit to reach a certain age before they contact them. The CHL can often recruit players 1-2 years in advance of the NCAA.

I also think it's [PoorWordUsage] the NCAA considers these CHL players professional, we should be opening up the borders and let the kids move freely between leagues. Right now it's just a one way street from the NCAA to Jr's if the kids aren't happy or made a bad decision. A lot of time these kids are forced to decide when they are 15 and 16 or even younger what route they want to play. I wonder how many would change their minds at 18 or 19?

I also think the CHL educational package is kind of a joke. I am not sure on the details but I think they will pay one year of college for every year in the league, and its generally a local college where you were born so you are talking about a Canadian college or one of the small time colleges in the US. That hardly compares with the US college options you might have. Also any time a CHL player signs a pro contract they lose that educational package, I wonder how many guys end up in the AHL, ECHL, or Europe, never make the NHL and now have to pay their own way to get an education.

You see more and more NHL guys sending their kids to college, that 6% is a telling number. Most guys are not making the NHL, you might as well get a great education while playing hockey.

Close the borders and give the scholarships to American players. I see no need for us to be providing free $100K educations to Canadians or anyone else. If tuition's no longer cover the cost to run the schools, I dont want my tax dollars paying for Canadians.

Bah humbug anyway.

]Close the borders and give the scholarships to American players. I see no need for us to be providing free $100K educations to Canadians or anyone else. If tuition's no longer cover the cost to run the schools, I dont want my tax dollars paying for Canadians.

Bah humbug anyway.

Closing the border is only going to hurt college hockey, you are going to dilute the league and send loads of very talented players back to Canada or other countries.

Can you imagine the history of college hockey without some of these players? And these are just a few Hobey winners and other noteables, the full list of talented players and All Americans would be massive.

Bill Watson, Hrkac, Kariya, Morrison, Krog, Sejna, Lessard, Towes, Vanek, Heatley, St. Louis