• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need ideas for where to start seeds.

Booth

I have tried to start seeds in my home before... it was tough. I have two kids under 3 and a dog and cat. Needless to say I have no place in my home that is exactly safe to pots of dirt to lay around!

My thought was to use 4' flor. lights and somehow make a mini green house/kid,cat barrier in my laundry room. Any thoughts ideas and pics are welcome.

Thanks,

Paul

I use the laundry room. Some seeds will not start if it is not real warm in the room. Peppers mainly. I use two two bank lights and use aluminum foil. I took a bunch of scrap plywood and 2x4 and made little shelves because all plants dont grow the same. The key is to keep the plants less then 3 inches from the lights. I like to start in the second week of march. Onions go outside as soon as the frost is done. Tomatoes end up getting pretty spiny because the lights dont put out enough. I cut all the bottom leaves then bury them sideways in the garden and have had tremendous luck doing this. Got to keep that cat away. From your list it sounds like this will be your biggest challenge. Cats are very crafty and persistant

Top of a fridge or freezer in the basement?

I did this a long time ago and found three things really increased success. First was to get the proper light bulbs for the fluorescent fixture and to keep it close to the soil - 3-5 inches and move it up as the plants grow. Second was to put the light on a timer - i think you want to keep it on for something like 16 hours a day but I can't exactly remember. Third was to get a small electric coil heater that kept the soil warm to get the plants to germinate.

I enclosed the whole shebang in plastic to try and keep moisture in and would mist it with a spray bottle every couple of days to make sure things were OK.

I posted a link to a system that used plastic milk jugs and you may find that appealing as well. Should be close on this topic.

Thanks guys,

I'll try it in the laundry room.

What about the type of lights? I was doing a little research and some people say to use two different bulbs in the fixture, one a bright white and the other a warm bulb.

Maybe this is the push my wife needs to get rid of the d@#n cat!

Thanks,

Paul

I use the spare bedroom closet on the floor with a 4' shop light with grow lights in them. I also use a timer on the light for 16hrs/day. I make sure to shut the door or our cat will use it if you know what I mean. I make sure to start plenty more than I want in case some die. Good luck, if I can do it anyone can.

Quote:
What about the type of lights? I was doing a little research and some people say to use two different bulbs in the fixture, one a bright white and the other a warm bulb.
That is what I used last year and it worked out fine. I also had a heater underneath the flats at a low temp to speed germination up. This year I'm using water bed heaters under the seed trays to keep soil temp up.

When I go to transplant the fist time after the true leaves develop I set the pots that I transplanted into in sheet pans or flats on top of sand. This makes it easy for watering the plants, just add water enough to cover sand and the plants will be watered from the bottom up. The flats get a bit flimsy with sand in them thats why I went the rout of sheet pans.