• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

good setup?

my largest northern i cought was a 42 incher back in the 80's in cove bay mill lacs lake which i mounted. it was on 6 pound test fishing for crappies. the panfish jig was hooked in the side of her mouth and it took me about 20 min. to finaly pull it out of the hole. while pulling it up as i stepped backward i fell through my portables door and onto the ice. so it can be done but if going for pike i would use a thin wire leader or at least a 20 pound test florocarbon leader. a quick strike rig would do as well. good luck.

What I like to use in the summer is a 3-4' steel leader w/ a spinner on it and a big hook. I put a 1/2 to 3/4 oz slip sinker above the leader and tip the hook w/ a 5-8" creek chub.

I backtroll around 1-2 mph and put the rods in the rod holders and turn the bait clickers on. Nothing like putting along and "click, click, ZZZZZZZZZZZ!"

My wife and I have a lot of fun doing this in late June, July, and August.

Brian

Whenever questions like this come up, I always see the, "I caught a 15 pounder on 6 pound test" type stories. No doubt this happens, but if your going out for pike, there is no sense in not being prepared, especially if the are some good size fish in the waters your fishing. Not to mention, that over-playing a fish can actually kill it. Kinda like when a horse is pushed to hard and it dies. I am a pike fisherman, and this is what I would use. I suggest using power pro line. This line has a small diamater so don't be afraid to go big. I would say 50 pound test. This will only have a mono equivalent diamater of about 8 pounds. This line will work in spinning or baitcast reels. Use a good strong rod. I suggest a medium heavy with fast action. I do not suggest fiberglass rods like an uglystick. Fiberglass is great for trolling, but too soft for an "ideal" hook-set on the hard mouth of a pike. That is not to say fiberglass rods will not work. I am just saying fast action graphite is the best choice. As far as what goes on the end of the line, I will give you a couple simple ideas. First,get a few big spinner baits. Go to the musky section and get small sized musky spinners. Just like bass spinners, only bigger. Make sure to use a leader. I suggest steel, and at least a foot long. The other best way to go is a large sucker minnow on a quick-strike rig under a slip bobber. The quick-strike will allow you to set the hook right away and allow for catch and release.

My typical bobber rig would have 8-12" of a steel leader with a minimum of 10# test, but usually 20#. My main mono line is usually 20# test.

For braid line, I like either 50# test or 65#. With the lightest of 30# test in wide open water. If I'm using Fireline, I will usually use 20# test, with the lightest of 14# test.