• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog eats wwwaaayyy to fast

Ryan_V

Thanks MA. smile

I am not out of the woods just yet. Mrs. Shack found out it was not a total cure yesterday. grin He got his first trial run with no correction and it was just like nothing changed. grin He was introduced to his new training lead this week so I can bring him more places. The new approach is right before the food goes in the bowl he is anchored close to the area via the lead. Then the food is poured and he has some thinking time to be had with an open kennel door just a couple feet away. Once he is done hooting and hollering, tuckers out and calms down, some praise will be had followed by being genitally guided to his food dish. After last night I figure I am going to give this option a run and maybe kill two birds with one stone. The feeding time issue and helping him with control while on the lead. He actually is quit good on the lead though and he has earned his spot on the right side as my other lab was brought up on the left.

IMO shack this is an oppotunity for you to be practicing the sit and stay routine. Both my pups had to do this from the get go before they could eat. you have them sit and then they stay until you release them. If they move toward the dish, you sit him down again while pulling the bowl up. It wont take him long before he realizes the correlation. My lab had to sit (which she picked up right away) before she could come out of the crate...and that also transferred to the kennel as well. They both have to sit before the kennel door opens.

Start young, it will pay off later.

Now the short hair will follow me to the closet to fill the dish's and then I go to the sink to add a little water to each bowl. In the mean time he runs over to "his" spot and sits down. I set both bowls down, then the lab sits by her bowl and both watch me for the "ok" command so they can eat. Its a nice "routine" roughly at the same time twice a day and they have it down bcause that is the way it was from day 1.

He actually has had the "sit" and "come" commands down for a couple weeks+ now and almost came somewhat natural, which is rare for me. The "stay" is what we are working on this week, but yes I agree this time has been a good period to train. I am a little hesitant to do any real training during this time besides how I would like him to act during feeding. I do not care for using treats and food as the incentive or reward with his training, plus there is no focus on me and all he wants is that dish of food. He is coming around though. Last night he was 100% less aggressive than he was just a week ago.

Yes LB that is what I had meant. smile