• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tracker vs Alumacraft/Crestliner/Lund

Ice_Fishin07

The fishability of the Targas are great and if cared for it will be a good boat for you. I prefer my older glass but never have a problem fishing out of the Tracker. for what you are looking for you should be able to find a 2005 or newer Targa in your budget, just might take some looking.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not a fool

i fish and buy a boat the suits the waters i fish

i;ve never been on ketchigume and probably never will be

if i do i'll find a boat to meet those waters when its fesiable to go out on it

remember the edmund was working i dont work on the water

i play and enjoy grin

Thanks a lot guys. I think you guys are making me think about few things that I was thinking about before. I think I am getting close to know what I want. Right now, I am looking at a Crestliner Superhawk and a Alumacraft Trophy. Hopefully can make a deal on either one of these.

Also, if you are looking at those types of Crestliners or Alumacrafts in particular, and looking at 4 strokes, make 100% sure you max them out. Not to start a pizzing contest about motors, but the 115-150 hp 4 strokes do not run the same on these mid sized boats as the 2 strokes in the same hp range. If you are looking at 4 strokes, please try to test drive them so you are sure of what you are getting and how the performance is, and not what "us" internet guys tell you, me included wink

For disclosure, we have old school 150efi on ours. I have driven the 90-150hp 4strokes on similar boats (though not Verados, which are a different beast i am told), and they are nice and quiet and great motors, but they don't have that same performance the 2 strokes have, if that is what you desire (actually not even close IMHO). With that said, on my next pontoon I will have 4 stroke for sure, but not on my higher hp rig. But that is just me wink Like I said, don't take my word for it, try to get a test drive if you can before you buy.

BoxMN makes a good point. My new outboard is a Merc 4-stroke and regulars on this forums know the trials I went through in prop selection and trying to get to the point of being satisfied with its performance. And I still think more can be had from it. Because these motors need to be spun a little higher than the 2-strokes there are trade offs with hole shot vs. top speed since you have to prop it more for one or the other. I've grown to really like my new motor but after going from an underpowered rig I wanted some performance and it just wasn't what I expected at first. The family really appreciates the quietness and its really smooth running.

you could save some money in the long run

probably more up front

if you went with an e-tec you could maybe get by with less hp as

they do have power

and certainly much lighter and kinda quite(not as a honda or yammie)

i really have no idea what they are price wise compared to 4 strokes

all the e-tec haters will chime in now

but most dont own one...i do..i've had 2 of them

as so far no problems and very satisfied

set up right for your boat you will have power plus you can troll with them as they idle down very nice...at least on my boat which is much heavy than yours is going to be

you might hafta to use a sock to slow you bit..but most guys i see trolling use any way

also maintence free for the first 3 yrs and that is a fact mine is 3 yrs old

this is just my opinion talking from experience!

all the e-tec haters will chime in now

My buddies 08' 250HO has had 8 injectors replaced (so far) along with a lower unit that went out. All covered under warranty but now that the warranty is about to expire it's for sale, you interested? I love the boat but frankly the 250HO's scare the heck out of me, way to many motor failures for me to be comfortable with one.

i'm not sure what a 250ho is

but i think once you get into those bigger motors you

have wayyyyyyy more issues that why at big tournaments most have support at the tournament

i've heard as many bad stories about merc as any

not so many bout honda and yammie but still some

i think you are just dealing with a whole different situation

just my opinion

Each brand will have its share of issues. As for Merc they are a good motor. Factor in how many of them have been sold over the decades and you'll expect to hear a few more horror stories. Plan ol' statistics. I have 2 buddies right now that haven't been able to hardly use their boats the past two summers because of powerhead failures on the Etec. One is a 90hp and the other a 50.

Greg there were many reason why I went with the Merc 4-stroke. First off the price was far below other brands. T&M Marine had the best prices I could find anywhere. The 4-stroke went for $7500 and the Opti was $7100. I was going to put an Opti on it but they were backordered and the wife really wanted the 4-stroke for quietness. Also since I had a Merc on my boat I didn't have to change controls or wiring harness. After everything was said and done with my trade-in (which I got a fair price) the upgrade cost me $6000 which I did put back on the loan. I still owe less total than what it would have costed me to buy another brand. Even if I was to factor in the kicker and Terrova. I wish I could have the Opti performance but the 4-stroke isn't that bad. Just not what I first expected or wanted it to be. By the end of the season I was really enjoying my 'new' boat.

As to the orginal poster, I drowled over the Superhawk and Trophy when I was looking to buy. Layouts are nice and great stable boat. Good luck finding your new ride!

In the Fall of 2009 I purchased a brand new 18.5 ft Tracker Targa with 115hp Mercury Optimax. I really love the boat and I got a steep discount because of a dealerships bankruptcy. My only regret is buying from a liquidation depot instead of a certified dealership. Yeah i got a nice deal but i had some issues with the spedometer and trailer tires and found it about useless to get the dealer to honor the warranty. With that said weigh the pros vs cons befor making your decision. One important piece of advise it to not fall in love with a boat thats out of your budget. It's much easier to purchase upgrades when funds are available then to over buy up front and have trouble making your payments in December when the boat is holed up for the winter.

Hey Ice_fishin, one other thing that would be helpful to you.... bring in a handful of your rods that you use, and stuff them all in the rod storage of each of the boats you are looking at. That will shed light on which one will work better for you, aside from any ride/test drive/performance issues that you might not be able to do in the hard ice season. Even if they have "center rod storage" it won't help if your rods are 1" too long to fit wink I usually don't have the problem of too long a rod wink heh.

I finished up my first year with a new 2010 Alumacraft Classic 165 CS and I honestly LOVE the boat. It was dead stone reliable (not one single operating issue) and did everything I asked. It is however, currently at the factory getting a paint issue resolved smile I have a 60hp Merc 4 stroke on it and I love the motor for trolling, quietness and gas usuage. Until I repropped the motor, it was sometimes difficult to get out of the whole with 3 adults in the boat but that was mostly on really hot humid days. The prop lowered my top speed by 2mph but it still does 29.5 or 30 with 3 guys loaded. I am with BoxMN though, hind sight being 20/20 I probably should have gone with a 75. My boat is not what I would call underpowered though.

Having also previously owning a tracker, there is really no comparison in fit and finish to the alumacraft. Good luck shopping smile

I'm looking at possibly getting a new 17' pro-guide tracker with a 90 horse Opti. What does everyone mean by fit and finish? After looking at a lot of boats I think the Tracker is a pretty good deal. Option all being equal the Tracker has more. Batteries included, Lowarance graph, Minnkota powerdrive motor, three seats and a 90 Horse Optimax seams pretty good to me. Also previous posts talked about the thickness of the hull, the Tracker actually has a thicker hull than most of the other brands.

Well I guess to pick one boat out it would be the Lund Impact. Comparing length it was a 16.5' while the tracker was 17', the lunds hull was thinner than the tracker. It came with two seats, not three, it did not come with a trolling motor, the horsepower was a 60 hp not 90 hp, and the boat was more, a couple of grand more. I guess it did'nt really compare.

This whole boat buying thing has my head spinning. I wanted a Lund or an Alumnacraft but after comparing prices, i just don't know.

it can make your head spin for sure

i put money down on a boat went home and slept on it changed my mind

and bought a different one

but man i'm glad i did

in my mind I made the right decision

and thats who you want to please is yourself when spending that kinda of $$

its alot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ weather its a tracker or ranger

Tracker puts bottom line equipment on, bare min trolling motors and entry level electronics, basicly a bottom finder. The use cheaper carpeting that snags and after some hard use starts showing wear. Hinges and springs break on the hatches,seats break, just a few issues we have seen so far on a 5 year old boat. I still love fishing out of it, hard to beat the 96" beam but my 1991 Skeeter is in as good or better shape inside than the Tracker.