• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lets talk crappie technique and tactics

I am a live bait fishermen and I am sure that some artificial bait fishermen can add a few things. I fish with glow jigs and plain red hooks with minnows most times. I have my favorite location in about 30' of water that has produced every year with big schools at night that I have found out already has the crappies thick this year witch is a change from last year because they didn't move in thick till the end of the season last year. I have found that unless they are being finicky because of weather the larger and more active ones are found near the top of the water column. They may be marking pretty solid in that area or may not be but if you put your bait up there they will show up. Last night was a prim example, they were marking solid on the bottom and periodic near the top in 7 to 10'. If you fish the ones on the bottom they tend to be pretty small for the most part with a few larger ones. As soon as a fished the ones near the top I was pulling up slabs. I learned this through the last couple of years, some times they can be a foot to less then a foot under the ice. I have learned they like to hit different sized glow jigs and minnows depending on their mood. Sometimes they like just a plain red hook with a minnow, like last night that was the key. One way I have figured out how to bring the larger ones around that upper level and get them excited when they are not marking solid in that level is to use some sort of attractant like a buckshot spoon or something large that makes noise and glows or one of the two, and jig it on your second line down in the level well you have your other line down with your minnow in the same level, you dont even have to put anything on it but you can if you want to add sent like a minnow head. It seems to bring them right in the area and put them in feed mode. Another tactic that I like to use is a drop rig, where you use a heavy spoon like a forage minnow or a buckshot and take the treble off and put a 6 to 8" leader on it with a plain hook with a minnow on it. You can jig it around some if you want but most time just the big glowing spoon with the minnow swimming around under it is enough to get them to bite, even in some of the most finicky situations. During the day I have found them in the same areas but they seem to hang pretty tight to the bottom and are a little finicky. I dont fish them much in early ice or around weeds but do catch them on accident sometimes I am sure some other people are more knowledgeable with some of those kind of areas as I tend to fish crappies in mid winter grounds.

This is some of what I know and can think of for now, I and others would be interested in what others have to add.

I agree with your comment on the smaller crappies feed close to the bottom foot, where as the slabs are higher in the water column(2-8)feet off the bottom. I fish with plastics but I believe at times meat is needed. The other thing is glow jigs are the key to bring in the fish and I normally use a small jig until early March.

Good information and nice read.Thanks for sharing.

Sniffer

i dont fish them all the time most would be late ice. last year i was seeing big slabs swimin around and wouldnt give me the time of day. so i used a drop shot like alot do for bass and it was the ticket. i go with the hook 18in to 3 feet above your sinker. it works great with minows,plastic and waxy ect.

The flutter jig from the Outdoor Pro Store has been very effective for me on crappie, both in deep water and shallow local lakes. The flutter of the blades and the color flashes seem to work well together, and they come in glow colors as well.

The flutter jig from the Outdoor Pro Store has been very effective for me on crappie, both in deep water and shallow local lakes. The flutter of the blades and the color flashes seem to work well together, and they come in glow colors as well.

I've had nothing but bad experiences with those flutter jigs. I know each lake is different, but everytime I throw one down the screen clears. I could be using them wrong, but either way.

I'm a huge fan of throwing down a simple jig typically one cantered at 45* with some euros and letting it buck around for a bit, then sit quietly. Nothing too horribly special.

I have good luck on the 1/16 oz Lindy Rattlin Flyer, Fat boys paired with plastics and the flutter jig either with meat or plastics.

When I'm fish more aggressive or larger crappies I'll upsize to a 2" power or gulp minnow or the Lindy Darter.

Forage Minnow all the way. Two of us limited out on a south metro lake today. slab after slab for a solid two hours. Most fish were caught without live bait, a few with waxies. 25 fow, light jigging working down toward the bottom, starting about halfway in the water column. The key was using the vex to dangle the bait just above them and slowly lift the rod until they would follow and bite.

You can't go wrong with a Lindy Frostee spoon with a minnow head on it when the fish are in a positive mood. Or even a Lindy Darter, I like the red glow the best.

When the fish are up high in the column they are generally going to whack your presentation if they see it, and having a big profile mixed with soome glow will get the crappies to turn their attention to your lure. The higher the fish are in the water column the less I worry about using live bait.

I am about to try jigging some spoons and such because they are getting real picky about jigs with live minnows this time of year. What are some good sizes to use for crappies as I have never used spoons for crappies before? Also any one have any ideas for me I think I have tried every jig in my box with a minnow and usually just have them stare at it. I have no problem finding them I even find them suspended pretty high and manage a few but its been slow going lately.