• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

best time of day/area

fish-a-man

I have been looking at a lake that has a good number of pike in it and was wondering what is the best time of day to tip up fish early morning, middle of the day, evening? also the lake only has a 15' max depth, would it be best to fish the one hole or off of a point or even just a flat?

I've never done well consistently for pike, winter or summer, close to sunrise or sunset. Pike make for a short day in winter. I hit the ice by 8:30 or so and fish until about 3:30. I rarely have a flag after 3:15 or before 9 a.m. in winter, even when I'm out earlier or later.

Other than that, any time within that window could be good. I've had days when it's pretty regular all day long and other days when it goes in surges.

thanks for the info, it seems within that window is when i have caught them. usually i have one tip up and one rod for pan fish, i havent had much luck with tip ups but would like to give it more of a shot. thanks again

to answer or help with the second part of your question, My favorite spot on my favorite lake is in about 8-12 FOW on a weed line right near the heavily hit 15'(deepest part of lake) hole that everyone fishes pannies out of.

I don't fish alot of "holes" but usually on top of valleys near weed lines around 8-12'. But this works on my lakes that I've learned to fish both winter and summer.

Try setting up on a few areas and see what works...the joys of two lines during the winter! oh- and its best to go with a few friends cuase 4,6,8 tip-ups can tell you alot more then just one or two.

If you supply some more detail about vegetation, structure and water clarity regarding the lake in question, you might get some more targeted recommendations. I for one didn't respond because there are too many variables. I've found fish in the deep hole, along transition/weedlines and in the shallows on lakes that resemble your basic description but vary in other ways.

In general, I agree with pulleye's advice. If you can find green submerged vegetation on a lake with pike in it, you'll find pike. smile

i pulled this off the dnr web site. "Aquatic vegetation is sparse most of the open water season although curled pondweed can be dense in May and early June." it also says the water clarity is generally poor due to high algae densities, 1.5ft.

The 2 I got this year is where I have been fishing for eyes in 22 feet at least 20-30 yards way from the outer weed line in about 17 feet, and about 15 yards away from a break in 26 feet. There seems to be a lot of different fish coming through in schools like perch, sunfish, crappies, walleye, and northern pike. Not quite sure what the reason for the super highway but there must be something that the smaller fish are feeding on that is bring in the larger ones.