• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Providing Cover

DARK30

Good idea. I did this at my old place because it was so open. Where I live now, I have lots of conifers in the yard, so it's not a problem.

Speaking of cover, I'm wondering if anyone has ever put up a chickadee roosting box:

full-31143-4713-thumb_roost20wl20house20

Have you had any success? My dad built one and put it up in his yard, but so far, we've only seen Red-breasted Nuthatches caching food in it.

Any port in the storm. I also have conifers on three sides of my place. Last year I just put a big pile of brush to the side of the feeders for varmit cover, that seemed to work out alright.

mike

I have two chickadee roosting boxs up one is being used by the chickadees. Mine are painted dark drown and one faceing south the outer one faces east.

Dark your birds need all the help they can get grin

Greetings from WDH AKA Dragonmaster and the Monkey whistle

The roostbox that is being used is faceing south. The one faceing east has never been used and I don't think it ever will be, you see it's hanging on the north side of my shop covering a hole. And I use it as a sales prop. My roost box are made all most air tight all seams are caulk along with a 1-ince peice of styrofoam that fits tight in the top of the box so when the lid is closed there is almost no heat loss what so ever. Under the entrance hole the wood should be roughened with a wood chisel to create a better gripping surface.

If you roosting box is not being used, move it to a new spot. Check it once a week for dropings or watch it the last hr of sunset. Keep moveing it till you find the right spot that The chickadees like.

Dark that ugly thing is called a Big Spirit Flathead laugh

I know what you mean about the birds helping ya. It's the way I make my liveing now days. I have the largest Purpl Martin colony in northwest Iowa. And I do seminars on Martins , Birding and Bird feeding.