• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog insurance/adding a dog to our home

Hammertime

I have 2 questions to throw out. I am VERY close to putting a deposit on a new GSP pup. I had a GSP from 1995-2007. Great dogs and perfect for all of the grouse and pheasant hunting I love to do. First question, does anyone buy health insurance for their pets. I had never thought about it until a friend told me he has it for his gsp. He actually had 2 ACL replacements on his gsp that cost about 10K! If you do have it, who do you use? 2nd question, we have a 3.5 year old boxer that is a huge part of our family. She is great with our young kids (4 and 2) and she is very well behaved. I dont want her to be "jealous" come hunting season when I will be taking the new dog hunting and she will be staying home with my wife and kids. She loves playing with other dogs when my friends bring their dogs over and I think another dog will be good for her, but has anyone ever had to deal with this issue, and how did it go? Any input will be appreciated.

i will reply on the insurance part. i have two labs both 95 lb one is 2 the other is 1.5 yrs. the 2 yr old has had both back knees done. it is 3250 per knee, after my deductible, i got about 2800 back from insurance. i would not be without it for either one of them. the cost is 35 per month per dog and honestly it is a good deal, has paid for both policies already. mine is thru purina care but shop around as progressive and metlife offer them too. good luck.

We've got a policy from VPI on our great dane. While you still end up paying, the insurance does help out, and it's some peace of mind should something major happen. You can get riders that help out with yearly costs (vaccinations, check-ups, fecal tests, etc), as well. Our policy runs about $380 a year, but that varies depending upon breed and age.