• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bird ID

timjones

Need help with a bird identification. Have never had these at the feeders in the past years. Just showed up today for the first time. It was a flock of about 30 to 40 of them and they would fly around together. Feed for a while, go sit out on the snow on the lake, maybe up in the trees for a little bit, then come back and eat some more. Can't find them in my Minnesota bird book or my North America bird book. Took one picture through the spotting scope to get a better view.

S4300010.jpg

S4300014.jpg

When I was younger there were flocks of these everywhere in the coldest parts of winter back in NW Iowa. These and slate colored juncos were our winter immigrants; that was on the NW Iowa prairie. These buntings may be more common in the open farther west than here where it is more woodsy.