• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Difference in Sportsman 800s from 2005 to 2010?

Moe Szyslak

Looking at getting a sportsman this spring and was wondering if there is any big differences between year 2005 and 2010 that I should be aware of before I purchase?

Mostly trail and mud riding. In the winter maybe a little bit of snow plowing on my property only (not a business).

They cheapened them up since 2007 I think. The newer ones do not get aluminum wheels, ceramic coated dual exhaust cans, rear work lights...I'm sure there is other things. Up until the new xp came out the 800 was the top of the line, now I'm not really sure why they are still making them. The 2011's had a subtle redesign.

are you comparing the 2005 800 to the 2010 800?

or

the 2005 800 to the 2010 850 that was completely redesigned?

I was just looking to see if there were any real important year or year improvements/changes from 2005 through 2010. Looking to purchase one in this year range and want to make sure I dont pick one up if the next year might be significantly better or changed. Friend has a 2005 800, seems nice and adequate.

Not quite the same, but I just sold my 05 Sportsman 500 and went to the 09 Sportsman 550XP. As Rundrave said, the pre-09 sportsman and the XPs are totally different. I find the XP is easier to steer even without power steering (I don't have EPS). There's a lot more snap too. The XP feels like sitting on a motorcycle due to the engine being turned 90 deg as compared to straddling something the size of a Boss Hoss. The 850XP seemed a bit excessive for what I do, which is trail, mud and ice fish. That thing is said to do 78mph out of the box without mods. It's really fast and smooth, but still doesn't corner like the 500s. It's more of a drag strip machine, straight and fast.

I know I miss a few features from my 05. The white utility lights in the back are not there, that's a big bummer when trying to put my fish house back together at night. No recoil, but who can pull those over anyway. I think there was one other thing, but must not have been as big of a deal. Either way, I love my new XP.

If you're strictly talking non XP versions, I don't think there's much difference.